I've installed the suggested kernel kernel-2.6.18-189.el5.jwltest.105.i686.rpm.

> This may be of help for the wireless (ath9k).
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5

No go.   My supervisor prefers the netbook not have internet capability, so not
an issue.

I will provide this feedback.  The wireless adaptor in network configuration
now is identified as atheros AR928X.   It is unknown still in lspci output.
Starting the device via network configuration menus yields a siocsifflags
unknown error 132.

Or,
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS:  Unknown error 132

Ubuntu forums suggest rfkill.  I surmise rfkill is an ubuntu hack that kills
wifi drivers.  Lots of web exchanges on this.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Bill Lutter

--- Begin Message ---
William Lutter wrote:
I've installed SL5.4 on an ASUS eee S101 netbook that my lab has purchased. Reviews say Fedora 10 and Ubuntu 9.10 work "flawlessly" (Ubuntu). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220595

I usually use SL, so I've installed 5.4.   lscpi indicates that the ethernet controler is
Atheros (AR8121 ...) and wireless is atheros (AR928X).  There are no "atheros"
entries in the other card adaptor lists in the network configuration submenus.  So,
neither the ethernet card nor wireless adaptors are recognized?

The README file from downloading atheros driver from madwifi shows  latest download is
2/08.   README says lspci should show it as "unknown" and a 0x168x vendor ID.
lspci -v indicates both ethernet  (8324) and wireless (1a3b:1067) are unknown devices.
I'm guessing madwifi is not going to not work.  Looks like I need special software.

For lab usage, I don't need networking.  It would be nice to update software
etc.  I'd install ubuntu if it gave me networking capability and which is not
available via current RHEL5 SL distro.

thoughts?
Bill Lutter
This may be of help for the wireless (ath9k).
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/RHEL5
My guess is some more googling could shed light on the wired interface as well.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola