On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Troy Dawson wrote:

Hello,
We are looking at puting drbd into SL5.  I do not think our packaging is
ready to go into SL 5.5, but I'd like to have it tested before putting
it into contrib, and then we'll see whether we want to put it in SL 5.6.

"DRBD is a block device which is designed to build high availability
clusters. This is done by mirroring a whole block device via (a
dedicated) network. You could see it as a network raid-1."

I know nothing about DRBD but isn't there already another implementation of something very similar (NBD, ENBD etc)?

  http://nbd.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/

I know that some of the cluster vendors were taking the NBD/ENBD code and improving it in various ways. Is this what DRBD is or does it do more than md over NBD can?

[ Not that I've used NBD/ENBD either but I've been told that another department are using it a lot as part of a backup solution (not that this means much to us)... ]

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  jp...@damtp.cam.ac.uk     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |