On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Chetan Tiwari wrote:

Greetings,

I was having trouble using the cut command and wasn't sure if anyone else on
this list faced a similar problem. Perhaps I am doing something wrong and
any help will be much appreciated.

I am using SL6 and the version of cut installed is "cut (GNU coreutils)
8.4". I have a text file with the following line:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

When I execute the following statement: "cut -c1-3,24- test.txt", I get the
correct output: abcxyz. When I run the same command, but with a
--output-delimiter flag (i.e. cut -c1-3,24- test.txt
--output-delimiter="|"), I get the exact same output as before: abcxyz. The
delimiter (I - pipe symbol) is missing.

 What is LANG/LC_ALL enveronment in your shell?
If it is something with .UTF-8 try to set it without suffix.
LANG=C cut --output-delimiter="|" -c 1-3,24- test.txt
should do the trick.

When I run the exact same commands on a machine running Ubuntu with "cut
(GNU coreutils) 7.4", I get the desired output: abc|xyz. The same problem
occurs with larger data files that I was trying to manipulate as well.

Thanks,

Chetan

--
Best regards,