Hi,
I have SL 6.0 installed on a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB drive, which I use on
various laptops (and desktops). The touchpad is so sensitive on some machines
and I would like to disable it. At the same time, the attached mouse seems to
be selectively responsive, notably its left button. Looking through the docs
etc,a synaptics input driver has been installed, but the corresponding
xorg.conf file is not in place for me to modify. (From a separate thread on
nVidia, creating this file is NOT automatic in SL 6.)

Question 1: If I create the xorg.conf file, would that later create problems
for me when I switch to other machines--legacy or recent? I would not want some
of the clashes (no/incorrect video, etc.) I experienced with SL 52 on USB
sticks.

Question 2: if synaptics driver is already installed, is it possible to have
the fine control and features alluded to in the manual page (synaptics(4))? if
so, how?The options in System->Preferences->Mouse->Touchpad are NOT helpful.

Question 3: Can the touchpad sometimes interfere with the use of the mouse? If
so, how to minimize interference. the [replacement] mouse I use may not be the
right quality?

Any help would be appreciated.

Software details are:

[root@localhost wss]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.32-131.12.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Aug 23 11:12:55
CDT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@localhost wss]# yum --disablerepo='*' whatprovides synaptics
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-1.2.1-5.el6.i686 : Xorg X11 Synaptics touchpad input
                                        : driver
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Other       : Provides-match: synaptics