On 09/20/2011 01:47 PM, William Shu wrote:
Thanks Todd,
The script works when I manually give the value for $DeviceID. There are some trailing characters beyond the device ID that make the system to complain. The external mouse can't seem to handle click/select and copy (I think the mouse has probs, and I'm still to get another model and use.)

my awk is too rusty to figure how to output only the number after id=. Trying to use sed as in, e.g.,

$   echo -n "dkdksl id=13 dkdsl" |  sed -ne 's/.*id=\([0-9]+\).*/\1/p'

does not extract the id (13, here). (I hope I'm not slowly messing up the system!)]

Hi William,

SED is a nightmare at times.  Do two AWKs.  I drop the "echo -n"
in the example.

$ echo "dkdksl id=13 dkdsl" | awk -F "id=" '{print $2}' | awk '{print $1}'

13

-T

While I would like to see your version work, the solution proposed by Vladimir would meet my needs better when it works!

William.