You've my empathy. I did this years ago for our favorite upstream
vendor's version 4 releases while working for the BBC on a
virtualization project. Given our favorite upstream vendor's insistence
on support for KVM, though, are you seeing any particular benefit from
the Xen kernels and software? And don't the modern Linux kernels already
have the paravirtualization already built in, or do you find yourself
needing the modified kernels for the best support in the guests?

I didn't agree with TUV in dropping Xen - however I'm pretty sure it will return in EL7.

In modern distros - EL6 included - do not require any modifications to the guest kernel to utilise PV. This means you can just around run any current distro as a guest.

Also, reviewing your notes: /etc/grub.conf is a symlink to
/boot/grub/grub.conf. If you're not careful editing it, and especially
if you put it under RCS while editing it, you can accidentally break the
symlink and make world of confusion: Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf instead.

Yeah. You're probably right here - I do think that most people would never use an RCS system for grub.conf. Especially since each kernel install / upgrade edits this file automatically. The only real additions that we make is to add the lines I haven't figured out how to add automatically as yet.

If you'd like to add notes for SELinux support to your guideline, set it
to "permissive" instead of "disabled" and collect some logs. There are
also some notes at http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/RHEL6_Xen4_Tutorial that
look interesting.

I did look at this - however it seems that from all my experiments this is too much work to be feasible for just me to do at this point in time.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: net...@crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au