On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Ken Teh <t...@anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > TUV needs an option in kickstart to turn off NM for designated cards.
>  Btw,
> > NM_CONTROLLED="no" in ifcfg-eth0 is not sufficient.  When you do this, I
> > lose DNS as well since apparently, NetworkManager usurps dhcp-client's
> role
> > in this.  When I chkconfig NetworkManager off, everything works.
> >
> > So I now have that in my kickstart script for my desktops.
> >
> > Is Enterprise Linux mostly installed on laptops?  I would have thought
> that
> > desktops still make a large fraction of its deployment.  In fact I would
> > almost bet on it since Linux is still not trouble-free when it comes to
> > installing on laptops.  In which case, it seems like a really bad idea to
> > foist the NetworkManager on people.
>
> You can just do
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off
> (or /sbin/chkconfig --del NetworkManager)
> /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 network on
> in the "%post".

This is insufficient. If NetworkManager is uninstalled, and then
re-installed by an RPM dependency or a thoughtless admin trying to get the
OpenVPN interface working, it *will* be re-activated. You really want the
NM_CONTROLLED=no entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*.

> Eventually, once it can do bonding and bridging, NM'll be inescapable...

And I'd like a pony.

I see *nothing* in any of our favorite upstream vendor's release network
configuration interface, nor eveb in the Fedora 17 pre-release, that shows
any support for bridge configuration or pair bonding. (If it's not made it
into Fedora, I don't expect to see it in the production releases from our
favorite upstream vendor).

This is particularly egregious because high availability services do best
with pair bonding, and because the upstream vendor supported virtualization
technology, KVM, requires bridging for most configurations. It's also
*dangerous* And NetworkManger will *overwrite* such settings, unannounced
and undetected, until your configuration blows up in your face.

I'm going to dial back my harsh comments about it. But it is *not* an
appropriate tool for any enterprise environment.