On 04/10/2012 10:22 AM, Bluejay Adametz wrote:
Well, within limits. Otherwise you have user rebelions, etc. I guess they use
Fedora as a thermometer.

I wonder just how much the user base overlaps between Fedora and RHEL.

Around my little part of the world, the overlap is zero. The
operations I support would never be candidates for a short-lifetime
bleeding-edge distribution like Fedora. They are, however, very good
candidates for SL or RHEL.

Where I work they overlap considerably, but we are doing development in Fedora and further upstream and deployment from SL and Vine (and support for TUV and CentOS, of course). So for those of us working everyone uses Fedora (though I think we only have one person who uses the default desktop -- everyone else is a KDE user now; go figure), but non-enterprise type customers are running Vine instead of TUV/SL/CentOS, which is pretty different in many respects.

I won't turn this into a rant -- but there are a few places in the plumbing where people near me think architectural mistakes have been made by becoming too distant from Unixy thinking where it counts, and yet lagged behind on GUI functionality in key places.

For example, its difficult to script network setup based on rules without taking account of pushback from the system in some areas for the reasons discussed in this thread, but printer setup is still sketchy (Letter <-> A4 issues are still the plague!) and not something you can do without root access by default. So hamstring the *nixy parts that we can count on, and don't get the ease of integration across devices that other platforms have for something critical like printing.

Maybe the focus is in the wrong place, or just lacking in general. Too many pots on the fire?

blah