Hello,

Sorry for the length of this post, but I want to make sure I give all the
information needed for someone to help.

I have a lab of 25 workstations running Scientific Linux 6.2.  User accounts
are authenticated via freeIPA, and auto mounted to an NFS server and the users
use Gnome 2.8.  The NFS and freeIPA servers are located on the same server (IP
10.10.10.10) which is also running Scientific Linux 6.2 and is a virtual guest
in VMware ESXI 4.1.

During class when the workstations are most heavily in use, the students are
writing Fortran programs with gedit and usually have firefox up as well.  Here
is my predicament.  During class some of the workstation screens will freeze
with no mouse or keyboard input.  This can last for varying lengths of time,
sometimes a few minutes, some other times for the full length of the class.  I
can ssh  in to the frozen machines and top will show load averages of up to 4
or more.  The process taking up the most CPU is one I don't recognize named
10.10.10.10-ma.  The 10.10.10.10 being the IP address of my server.  I have no
idea what that process is related to, whether it's freeIPA,  NFS, Gnome or
something else.  Killing the process doesn't help as it simply restarts with a
new PID.   Note that the freezing does NOT happen when only a few people are
using the lab, so reproducing the problem outside of class time is difficult.

Can anyone help me track down this problem and fix it?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!

Dave

David Fitzgerald