Hello David,
I'm not familiar with freeIPA, but anyway you can start by better identifying
the process.
In top, get the PID and look under /proc/$PID - in particular  exe will be a
link to the binary, like
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 27 01:41 /proc/1/exe -> /sbin/init

pstree -p -H $PID
will help you identify the parent process, if there's one.

Cheers,
  Sergio

--
 Sergio Ballestrero  - http://physics.uj.ac.za/psiwiki/Ballestrero
 University of Johannesburg, Physics Department