On 01/29/2013 04:49 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
On 29/01/13 22:47, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
On 01/29/2013 03:57 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
On 29/01/13 21:42, Alec T. Habig wrote:
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA writes:
     I would like to install xfce but there doesn't seem to be a yum
rpm.
     What is the best way to deal with that?
It's there, but in the epel repository.  Go get the
epel-release package from here:

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
Or just do:

     yum install yum-conf-epel

And you'll get all the needed files for EPEL ... no need to go via the
Fedora wiki any more :)

Then just do:  yum groupinstall xfce

That should be it.

     Yes, thanks, that eased the pain a lot! Now if I can figure out
     how to shange from gnome to xfce. Maybe there's a switchdesk rpm?
When you log in via the graphical login screen, you should be able to
choose desktop environment directly there.  Usually at the bottom of the
screen, iirc.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth

   Well I have SL6/3 working pretty much as expected now, however I am
   still forced to use gnome, I have XFCE installed but can't start it
   as long as gnome starts first. In Fedora it was a selection in the
   log-in screen, earlier versions I would do startxfce4, not so here,
   perhaps a limitation of installing from the Live version? Although
   Fedora was installed from a Live spin too. Dunno, it will annoy me
   until I find a way.

   Thanks to all for the help,

   Bob

--