On 13/07/13 08:15, Yasha Karant wrote:
On 07/12/2013 05:38 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
On 07/12/2013 01:05 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
The issue is that the application would not pass configure without
disabling these options.  I have tried the various pre-built RPMs for
vlc that have been mentioned, but all the ones that I have found have
dependencies that cause conflicts with other versions of the same
dependency (typically, some .so package).  Because the linux application
environment is not polymorphic with encapsulation, one cannot have both
versions of some such dependency installed.

Hi Yasha,

    It was a total pain in the butt the first few times
through.  I had to do a lot of "rpm -e xxx" and waiting
until yum would finally stop bitching.

    I did get there eventually and haven't had a problem
since.  Stick to it and you will get there too.

-T

Hi Todd,

My understanding is that your procedure can result in system instability
because of the lack of polymorphism and encapsulation.  If one uses
repositories other than those from SL6 or from those repositories that
claim the use thereof will not introduce stock (SL6x) incompatibilities,
then getting an application that requires such incompatible RPMs may
cause problems.  The solution of erasing the conflicting RPM and
presumably loading a replacement RPM that is not part of the stock
compatible distribution can "break" other applications that are
dependent upon such RPMs.

Building from a SRPM probably will not solve the problem because the
source RPM presumably requires the same RPMs (or SRPMs) that either do
not exist for stock SL6x or conflict with stock SL6x RPMs.  Again -- are
there any SL6x compatible source packages or installable RPMs that
supply the functionalities that I had to disable in building the current
production vlc application from source?

Yasha Karant

I have vlc 2.0.7 installed on my SL6 i686 laptop. It's from rpmfusion, which has, I understand, stricter policies on compliance than ATrpms. I don't know what, if any, restrictions were applied in the build, and I haven't tried it on many file formats, but it works well for me. Have you tried/considered it?

Perhaps I should add that I'm also using an elrepo kernel and kde-unstable.

Here's the 64-bit version. extras, devel are there too.

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/el/updates/testing/6/x86_64/vlc-2.0.7-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

John P