"""
In that case, why should Scientific Linux bother with any of this git
stuff? All the SL maintainers need is one (1) Red Hat customer,
anywhere on the planet, to obtain the source DVDs and give them a
copy. Then they can build just like they always have...
"""

If they're not released to the public, they are almost guaranteed to be
encumbered in a manner similar to the binary RPMs, which would make that
illegal.
I haven't looked for changes to the EULA with RHEL7 yet, but I would
imagine they took care of it.

--
Thanks,

Jamie Duncan