From: owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov
[mailto:owner-scientific-linux-us...@listserv.fnal.gov] On Behalf Of Yasha
Karant
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 4:31 PM
To: SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS@LISTSERV.FNAL.GOV
Subject: Re: Adobe flash plugin replacement for Firefox

On 12/22/2014 01:00 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 12/22/2014 12:50 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> Since my most recent posting on this matter, I have found:
>>
>> http://www.ehow.com/how_8409438_use-instead-flash-player-firefox.html
>>
>> How to Use VLC Instead of Flash Player in Firefox
>
> Hi Yasha,
>
> Sounds like you have your hands full!  I wish I had more Linux
> customers.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashvideoreplacer/
>
> says "This add-on has been removed by its author"
>
> Doesn't sound so good.
>
> -T
>
> p.s.  what do you use for remote assistance with your users?

It appears that the VLC route does not work.  Will VLC "play" Flash?  If so,
does Firefox allow "helper applications" so that VLC would be used rather than
a Firefox plugin?  This method -- helper applications -- used to work, but I
have no details on the current implementations with regard to the allowed
functionalities (e.g., MIME types) as permitted by either SL 6 or SL 7.
Presumably, Mozilla Seamonkey has the same issues as Firefox.

As for your PS question, a reply probably is more appropriate off-list.

Yasha