On 01/11/2016 09:57 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
On 01/09/2016 04:37 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Yasha Karant <ykar...@csusb.edu
<mailto:ykar...@csusb.edu>> wrote:

    The ElRepo Nvidia driver seems to have erased (not backed up) the
    default X11 xorg.conf file on a Dell Precision T1700 with an addon
    Nvidia
    card.

If you are sure the xorg.conf file existed but has been removed with
no backup, then it was not done by ELRepo. I suggest you look into the
code. You will find that ELRepo's package would not remove xorg.conf
without backing up.

In the %post section:

[code]
# Check if xorg.conf exists, if it does, backup and remove [BugID #
0000127]

[ -f %{_sysconfdir}/X11/xorg.conf ] && \

mv %{_sysconfdir}/X11/xorg.conf
%{_sysconfdir}/X11/xorg.conf.elreposave &>/dev/null

[/code]

Hope you can find the real cause of the trouble you are having.

Akemi
I respectfully disagree.  It is possible that there were multiple
installs/updates of the ELRepo driver during the experimental stages of
getting
SL 7 to work on the platform as the platform was delivered.  But -- both
the primary and backup copies have an ElRepo comment and no "stock"
content.  Because of the way the Dell boot bios interacted with the
platform after a power outage (beyond the limits of the small UPS
attached to the unit -- that may need new batteries but the Department
may not have the money to maintain), the only way to get to the obvious
Dell boot configuration screen (GUI driven) was to remove the Nvidia
card -- and the system does now boot to the text terminal interface, but
no GUI.

I can email to you the xorg.conf files I found on the machine after the
above actions.  I will do additional digging.  Meanwhile, no one has
responded so I either will find the X11 xorg configuration utility or
attempt to copy one from a working machine that has no Nvidia card.

Yasha

I haven't had much time to work with SL7 yet, but isn't it the case that there is no xorg.conf by default? Try just renaming the nvidia generated one and see what happens. I think the X server attempts to autodetect settings, which has gotten fairly reliable over the years for the most common setups.

-Mark