As I am using SL 7.1, the answer below should suffice (assuming it works seemingly as advertised). I fully understand from past experience that EL, unlike SLES, does not allow an upgrade in place for major releases, only minor releases (e.g., upgrade in place SL 7.1 to SL 7.m for whatever m turns out to be). For SL N to SL N+1, etc., one must be willing to sacrifice whatever is on the partitions that must be overwritten (/ , /boot , /usr, /bin/ , ...) but not on what can be "untouched" during the N to N+1 process (e.g., /opt , /usr/local if this is a separate partition from /usr , ... ).

As the "old" partition scheme is increasingly considered "obsolete", for the new layout scheme, how does one not overwrite the entire file system other than having two separate hard drives, a "system" one and and "non-system" (e.g., /home ...) one (for which the "hard drives" could be multiple drives in a RAID configuration, etc., but not "system")?

If you;re already on SL 7.x, you should be able to mount the CD and do
"yum -y update/mnt/[whatever]/Packages/sl-release*.rpm" and get most
of the changes availabale.