On 02/19/2016 08:09 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
On 02/18/2016 03:16 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:

As the "old" partition scheme is increasingly considered "obsolete", for the new layout scheme, how does one not overwrite the entire file system other than having two separate hard drives, a "system" one and and "non-system" (e.g., /home ...) one (for which the "hard drives" could be multiple drives in a RAID configuration, etc., but not "system")?

While this has nothing to do with what you originally posted, I'll bite. In my case I have set up a separate logical volume for /home from the one where / is mounted. Whether this LV is on the same volume group as the LV for / is irrelevant; in my case they are on the same VG, and I tell (told, in the case of one 'upgrade') the installer to use a particular existing LV for /, a particular partition for /boot, another LV for swap, and the last LV for /home. All are set to format *except* the one for /home. It took a bit of time to get used to the EL7 installer's way of doing mount points, but now that I've used it a few times I really prefer it to the old way for many (but not all) use cases.

But my question is 'why do you always seem to pick the hard way?' to do things. (I already have a good idea why, actually, as it has to do with a basic difference between 'Computer Science' and 'Information Technology' (as defined by the ACM's 2008 Computing Curricula Standards) and a basic difference between the CS mindset and the IT mindset.) Just understand that most of the advice you're going to get here is squarely in the IT (as defined by the ACM) mindset, including from me.
Actually, it has a great deal to do with the original post; however, your exposition of a workable methodology is reasonably clear and will be the mechanism for going forward and I thank you for your clarity. Presumably, to move existing to-save partitions from the older file system structure to the more current structure is not possible with an "imaging" method, such as dd, but will work with a full backup of an existing high level file system mounted upon a "physical" partition" (e. g., using tar perhaps with lossless compression) and then restore.

The second point you raise -- the difference between computer science and engineering versus information technology -- requires a response and clarification, as you posted your views to a public list (anyone may view/read). However, as your comment is off the mission of this list (as I have discovered, engineering design issues are not for this list, but rather mostly technology), would it be appropriate for me to post a response? The differences are deep and fundamental.

Yasha Karant