Alaska is beautiful. I only got a glimpse of it when I passed through there on
the way to Okinawa, but I was blown away by that little bit...

g123curious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Justice at a snail's pace. The state
should be ashamed of itself.
Notice how silent the state's 2 U.S. senators and governor have been
on this. No way this guy acted alone or in a vacuum. This story is
far from over. I tend to agree with Schwerner's widow.

BTW, I'm back from my 2-week vacation in Risa... er, Alaska. It was
awesome!! My wife and I went with 6 friends on a cruisetour on
Princess Cruises. We picked Princess vs. Celebrity since Princess
has their own wilderness lodges throughout central Canada. Our
cruisetour included a 4-night land tour from Fairbanks to Denali
National Park to Mt. McKinley to Anchorage; and then a 7-night
cruise from there southbound to Vancouver. Alaskan scenery is
spectacular beyond description. The coolest shore tour was the
Helicopter ride at Juneau over several ice fields and glaciers and
then landing on one where we actually walked around on a glacier. At
times it felt like I was walking on the moon. The landscape was so
barren and different. It had it's own ecosystem too, with pools,
streams, and plenty of crevasses. Words cannot describe!

When I post a cruise review and pictures online, I'll share the
link
with you. If you have never visited Alaska, I strongly encourage you
to go soon. It is the trip of a lifetime.

George
Captain
The USS Ronald E. McNair
http:// home.earthlink.net/~ekistics10/mcnair/

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Justice deferred is still justice, isn't it? Still, it bothers me
in a deep way that this old fart has lived the best years of his
life free and clear. Oh well...

> Ex-KKK Member Convicted in 1964 Killings Ex-KKK Member Convicted
in 1964 Killings

> By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago
>
> PHILADELPHIA, Miss. - Forty-one years to the day after three civil
> rights workers were beaten and shot to death, an 80-year-old
former Ku Klux Klansman was found guilty of manslaughter Tuesday in
a trial that marked Mississippi's latest attempt to atone for its
bloodstained, racist past. The jury of nine whites and three blacks
took less than six hours to clear Edgar Ray Killen of murder but
convict him of the lesser charges in the 1964 killings that
galvanized the struggle for equality and helped bring about passage
of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Killen, a bald figure with owlish
bifocals, sat impassively in his wheelchair, an oxygen tube up his
nose, as he listened to the verdict.

> "Forty-one years after the tragic murders ... justice finally
arrives in Philadelphia, Miss," said Rep. Bennie Thompson (

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/politics/news/ap/ap_on_re_us/civil_
rights_killings/15548513/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?
fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Rep.%20Bennie%20Thompson%
22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw>news,

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/capadv/bio/ap/ap_on_re_us/civil_rig
hts_killings/15548513/SIG=117r5askq/*http://yahoo.capwiz.com/y/bio/?
id=344>bio,

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/capadv/vote/ap/ap_on_re_us/civil_ri
ghts_killings/15548513/SIG=11g2c5h8t/*http://yahoo.capwiz.com/y/bio/k
eyvotes/?id=344> voting record), Mississippi's only black
congressman. "Yet, the state of Mississippi must see to it that the
wrongs of yesterday do not become the albatrosses of today."

> The murder charge carried up to life in prison. But Killen could
still spend the rest of his life behind bars; each of the three
manslaughter charges is punishable by up to 20 years. Judge Marcus
Gordon scheduled sentencing for Thursday. Civil rights volunteers
Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner - two white New Yorkers - and
James Chaney, a black Mississippian, were intercepted by Klansmen in
their station wagon on June 21, 1964. Their bodies were found 44
days later buried in an earthen dam, in a case that was dramatized
in the 1988 movie "Mississippi Burning." Prosecutors said Killen - a
part-time preacher and sawmill operator - organized the carloads of
Klansmen who hunted down and killed the three young men. On Tuesday,
cheers could be heard outside the two-story, red brick courthouse in
this small town after Killen was convicted. Passers-by patted
Chaney's brother, Ben, on the back, and a woman slowed her vehicle
and yelled, "Hey, Mr. Chaney, all right!"

> Ben Chaney thanked prosecutors and "the white people who walked up
to me and said things are changing. I think there's hope."
Schwerner's widow, Rita Schwerner Bender, hugged District Attorney
Mark Duncan and called it "a day of great importance to all of us."
But she said others also should be held responsible for the
slayings. "Preacher Killen didn't act in a vacuum," she said. "The
state of Mississippi was complicit in these crimes and all the
crimes that occurred, and that has to be opened up."

> Killen's wife, Betty Jo, went to her husband with tears in her
eyes and hugged him. Killen, who was in a wheelchair because of a
logging accident in which he broke his legs, was surrounded by more
than a dozen armed officers as he was wheeled from the courthouse
and taken off to jail. He slapped two television microphones and a
TV camera on the way out. Juror Warren Paprocki said the jury
initially was split.

> "On the one hand, this guy needs to be convicted. And on the other
hand, the state needed to present better evidence," said Paprocki,
54, of Philadelphia.

> Prosecutors had asked the jury to send a message to the rest of the
> world that times have changed in Mississippi and that the state is
> committed to bringing to justice those who committed violence to
> preserve segregation in the 1950s and '60s. Killen's lawyers
conceded he was in the KKK but said that did not make him guilty.
They pointed out that prosecutors offered no witnesses or evidence
that put Killen at the scene of the crime. Killen did not take the
stand, but has long claimed he was at a wake at a funeral home when
the victims were killed. Defense attorney James McIntyre said he
will appeal on the grounds that the jury should not have been
allowed to consider the manslaughter charges. With a murder charge,
prosecutors had to prove intent to kill. With a manslaughter charge,
they had to prove only that a victim died while another crime was
being committed.

> "It's not the perfect ending in this case. I believe we proved
murder and I believe he was guilty of murder," the district attorney
said. But he added: "The bottom line is they have held Edgar Ray
Killen accountable for his actions." Goodman's 89-year-old mother,
Carolyn, said from her home in New York on Tuesday that the real
heroes were those who stood up to the hate groups.

> "I know a lot of people in Mississippi who have risked their
lives," Carolyn Goodman said. "I would say those are the most
important people in my life. All the people who have stood up and
the victims of the Klan.

> "I think most of the people are wonderful down there," said
Goodman, who was in Philadelphia last week to testify about her
son. "There are a few rotten apples in every barrel."

> Killen was only person ever brought up on murder charges in the
case by the state of Mississippi. Killen was tried in 1967 on
federal charges of violating the victims' civil rights. But the all-
white jury deadlocked, with one juror saying she could not convict a
preacher. Seven others were convicted, but none served more than six
years.

> At the time of their deaths, Chaney, Schwerner and Goodman were in
Neshoba County to look into the torching of a black church and help
register black voters during what was called Freedom Summer. The
three were stopped for speeding, jailed briefly, and then released,
after which they were followed out of town by a gang of Klansmen and
killed. The trial moved along swiftly, with testimony over only four
days. Many of the witnesses from the 1967 trial are now dead; this
time, their testimony was read aloud to the jury from the
transcripts.  Witnesses - primarily Klansmen - testified that Killen
was a local Klan organizer who led meetings where members discussed
the "elimination" of "Goatee," as Schwerner was known because of his
beard.

> Witnesses said Killen rounded up carloads of Klansmen to intercept
the three men. According to testimony, Killen also told some
Klansmen to get plastic gloves and helped arrange for a bulldozer to
bury the bodies. Killen's case marked the latest attempt in the Deep
South to deal with unfinished business from the civil rights era.

> In 1994, Mississippi won the conviction of Byron de la Beckwith
for the 1963 sniper killing of state NAACP leader Medgar Evers. In
Alabama, Bobby Frank Cherry was convicted in 2002 of killing four
black girls in the bombing of a Birmingham church in 1963 - the
deadliest attack of the civil rights era. In 2001, Thomas Blanton
was convicted in the bombing.

> State prosecutors also have reopened an investigation into the 1955
> slaying of Chicago teenager Emmett Till in the Mississippi Delta.
Till was kidnapped from his uncle's home after being accused of
whistling at a white woman. Three days later, the 14-year-old's
mutilated body was found in a river. Earlier this month, his remains
were exhumed and autopsied. Paprocki, the juror, said he hopes the
conviction will change the way people look at Mississippi. He said
the jury of blacks and whites worked well together.

> "I saw no racial polarization in (deliberations)," he said. "This
is 2005 in Mississippi, not 1964. We are not barefoot and illiterate
down here."

> Stanley Dearman, editor of the Neshoba Democrat from 1966 to 2000,
noted that the verdict came on the anniversary of the slayings.

> "There's some sort of cosmic justice working somewhere," said
Dearman, who had long pushed for the case to be reopened.