If you read my post, you'll see I said nothing about Blacks not being able to
disagree. I didn't say we had to be homogeneous in words or deeds. I was
specifically refering to the narrow world of rappers who continually bash each
other. And look: if people just disagreed that'd be fine. But if you listen to
most of the public disagreements in that narrow world, they get nasty and
insulting. The men and women pose, talking about who can whip who, they waste
album space specifically writing songs to put down other rappers, they brag
about bagging each others' former lovers, nd all they do is generate bad
feelings. I can think of half a dozen very public and very nasty public fights
that spilled over to albums and "camps" in recent years, and they all involved
well-known and influential people from Eve to Ja Rule.  This is *not*
intelligent debate, not minor differences of opinion. This is name-calling,
insulting, antagonizing speech aimed at putting down someone else. If you're
defending that, go right ahead. It's a free country. But yes, I do expect Black
people to at least *try* to have more respect for each other. In a country
where we kill more of our own than any other race, where an insult is
justification for a killing, where we have to try to help each other, cause
Bush and his folks are making sure no one else is, please explain to me how all
this egotistical baiting and insult is a good example of free speech?

So, let's assume 50 was asked the question. Why couldn't he just say "well
Kanye and I each have our audiences"? Or how about something humble like, "I'd
like to think I was an influence on Kanye, just as I owe my success to those
rappers who came before me?" That's what most singers and actors say. They give
thanks and props to the Blacks that blazed the trail for them. 50 was just
being arrogant, and by calling Kanye "safe"--let's get real, that ain't a
compliment coming from that source. If you listen to many people with
class--and that includes rappers like Diddy and Jay-Z--they always make a point
to respect those who've come before.

So yeah, I expect better from our people. I expect Black people to give each
other a break. If we disagree fine, but do it with class.  Maybe I'm old, but I
was raised to try to talk about people with respect in public.   Or if you
can't--to shut up.

So what are you saying?  We as black people cannot have a civil
discource without killing each other.  Is that what you are saying?
We are uncivil and having differences of opinion is a hazzard to our
health?  So sad that one black person cannot disagree with another.
Are you the same way when another black disagrees with you?  Do you
have that sense that you should kill them if they counter your
opinion.  50cent was being interviewed and was asked the question, I
assume.  So you are saying such a question received, we should bite
our lip because we are too sensative and uncivil to disagree.
Although these wealthy singers make millions and we as a black
community put them on a pedestal, they are uncivil in a civil
society.  Especially if they cannot handle differences of opinion
and collectively as people of color, I think we fall short when our
thoughts and ideas are challenged.

And you wonder why white people and some blacks say that we are
homogeneous and non-objective thinkers.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That's why I said what I said yesterday. 50 needs to shut the hell
up. If he wants to rap about his street cred, his "hard" upbringing,
how he's been shot 9 times and lived to tell the tale--well, that's
between him, the record company, and the consumers. But I am sick
beyond belief of our Black artists criticising and sniping at each
other, putting each other done. This crap killed Pac and Biggie, got
women like Eve and Foxy Brown battling verbally when each should
have been happy to be making the dough. And it makes a mockery of
anybody like 50 who dares say life, the 'hood, or Da Man has tried
to keep him down. If he can't uplift and support his own Brothers--
or at least, just shut up--then I don't want to hear anything from
his mouth about life being hard for a Black man.

> (rolls eyes)
>
> 50 cent really rubs me the wrong in so many ways.   And he's one
of the main
> problems behind rap.   And his words only prove it.   IMO Kanye in
this case
> was right and what we saw during NO mess proves it.   I think this
guy would
> sell out his own mom if it could make him money.
>
> (rant over)
>
> -GTW

> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
>  Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM