It has been my OTHER passion for years!  My dad served, literally (the white
officers), on the USS Colorado during WWII.  He told me some things, but he
doesn't talk about it much...

It was my dad who introduced me to Science Fiction.  He's a wise man, and I
was always angry that the white folks took away his ability to really use
his intellect to the fullest.  Long story...

There is so MUCH about Blacks in the military that hasn't been told!

When I read Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers, I was rudely awakened to how much
I assumed the future was full of whites, basically.  At the end of the book,
after I had pictured this tall, white, probably blond guy as the center of
the Marines, Heinlein described him as a Filipino!

THAT slapped me in the face with how the insidious racial assumptions had
gotten to me.  I never forgot that.  Maybe that's why I was so GLAD I
stumbled onto Octavia Butler's books.  And of course, the people in this
group.

You guys and ladies are awesome!  I don't read everything, nor do I
participate in many discussions.  That's because it's very satisfying to
read about published writers here, and about looks into the future that
include us.  And it's amusing to see that there are some folks who are
surprised and indignant about the treatment of minorities in SF and the
world in general.  Don't get me wrong...I love the indignation.  It's fresh!

See, guys like me will never be able to completely shed the scars of race
hatred and mal-treatment.  This includes the lingering self-doubts from
years of taking crap without realizing that whatever they were blaming us
for was not of our making.  And I'm jaded.  Nothing surprises me any more.

It takes a new generation that hasn't been through the same crap to do
better.  So I'm glad that most of the people in our group haven't
experienced raw race hatred.  I have, and there are times...well, I'll leave
it at that.  Suffice it to say that I sometimes overreact to things that don
t affect younger people the same way.

'nuff said...  :o)

Maurice