The Master is a renegade Time Lord, like the Doctor, but he's on the outs
because he believes that the Time Lords should be using their power to run the
Universe, rather than what they do do, basically sit around and observe, never
interfering like Marvel's Watchers. Rumor has it that he and the Doctor are
half-brothers, from a few odd websites I found a long time ago. If I can coax
then out of my old computer, I'll post them. According to the last few Who
novels that were put out (the BBC stopped authorizing them just after BBC Wales
announced that the show was going back into production), the Master might still
be around. In their version of the War, only the Doctor seemed to have
survived, but two other Time Lords popped up. Can't recall their names. I'll
need to hit the Who group here at Yahoo for the info. And one of the novels had
a conversation with a "dark man". Might be the Master, because he loved black.
There were two actors who played the Master in the original series.
 Roger Delgado, the first, was really good friends with Jon Pertwee, the Third
Doctor, and he died in a car crash in Turkey in '73, I believe. Pertwee was so
broken up, he almost quit the show. Anthony Ainley played the Master starting
in '76, soon after Tom Baker took over. Won't say which was better in the role.
Both did it with a flourish.

  As I said, they (the Time Lords) never interfere with the order of things,
but a renegade branch of them believes otherwise, and they've formed a group to
do just tha. The name of it?

  The Celestial Intervention Agency. CIA. And the Doctor's a member in good
standing.

  He won't jump back to save his planet because that's always been the one Time
Lord tenet he won't violate. The Fifth Doctor once lost a companion because he
died saving the Earth from an attack by the Cybermen. He could've popped right
back ten seconds to save him, but he refused, to the consternation of his other
companions. I posted a link to the Who mainpage (and got it wrong, forgive me
for that), recommending an available download, "Lungbarrow". It's pretty
crucial in understanding why the Doctor does what he does. The central reason
is a major spoiler, in my eyes, because it's something that fans have surmised
for years about the Doctor. The BBC has never confirmed or denied the
possibility. I think it was hinted at in that Doctor Who movie that Fox did
back in '99, I believe it was. Used to have it, until all my videos got soaked
in a flooding accident last year. (Bad pipe under my bedroom floor.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Kewl! Sorry for all the questions, but it's so rare for me to be completely
ignorant of a scifi topic!

Who is the Master? Is he still around?
I assume Gallifrey is the home planet of the Time Lords? Didn't he say it was
destroyed in a war?
What is the purpose of the Time Lords? Do (did) they have a mission of some
sort, such as correcting changes to the main timeline? I can't figure out what
Who is accomplishing jumping around time and space with no seeming goal in
mind. It's almost as if he just stumbles into random trouble and fixes it. But
then, I've only see two eps so far....
Are the Time Lords from our past or future? I wonder why Who can't jump back in
time and save his planet? For that matter, can't he jump back in time in many
crises and save his companions, good people, or even himself, from death?

From: Martin Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Well, that guy stepped out for lunch, so I'll try to fill in...

  All Time Lords have a set of twelve regenerations given them once they
graduate from Time Lord school. (Seriously.) How fast they go through them
depends on how extravagantly they decide to live their lives. The Doctor's
"best enemy", the Master, went through his twelve (oh, forgot to add that these
twelve are in addition to the life they have while they're students) in record
time, and had been using various nasty means to prolong his life (namely
draining the lives of others) up unrtil his alst appearence in the series back
in '90. Counting the incarnation now being filmed, the Doctor's had ten.
Normally, a Time Lord in good standing can, at the end of his twelfth
incarnation, go back to Gallifrey and get a new set. But now, there's no
Gallifrey. Meaning our good Doctor is in a spot of trouble...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  A friend asked me the following question. As I'm brand new to the Doctor, I
have no clue. I figured someone like encyclopaedic-knowledge-of-all-things-Who
Martin might know...

<Question>
Isn't  there a restriction on the number of times the Doctor is able to change
form (i.e. getting a different body)?  I thought he can only 'transform' to a
new form seven times.  If that is the case then, with the new show, are the
writers disregarding the history with the previous Doctors?

        Science fiction and fantasy   Genre magazine

"Excuse me while I whip this out."
                    Cleavon Little , "Blazing Saddles"

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "scifinoir2" on the web.