I agree. Sad, I wish Welling and Erica Durance (Lois) could play the leads in
the Superman movie, but I understand why the studio doesn't want to mix the
casts. Speaking of, have you seen the "Superman Returns" trailers. The FX look
good , but I'm leery of the principals. Routh and Bosworth look way too young
for their roles, especially considering that this movie is supposed to take
place five years *after* the time of the flicks with Christopher Reeve and
Margot Kidder. I like my superheroes to look in their late '20s rather than
barely out of their teens (Spidey being an exception).  Bosworth's a good
actress, but she doesn't have the tough look Lois is supposed to have. She
comes off as kinda frail and helpless. Lois needs to be boisterous and
tough--even when she's in trouble. And I'm still trying to figure out why they
gave Lois a kid.  Again, Bosworth looks so young, it doesn't jibe with trying
to pass off this lady as the same character played by Margot Kidder. What? Was
sh
e 17 or so when she got pregnant?

On a more personal preference note, I fear the return to two old standards:
Clark Kent played as a wimpy nerd who's simply the mask for Kal-El, and
Superman's return to godlike powers. As you know, the original Superman in '38
was "mild-mannered" but not a klutzy punk as he became over the years. When
John Byrne redid the mythos after the Crisis, Clark Kent was pretty cool, a
published author and someone the ladies loved. He wasn't a pushover or a wimp
that others laughed at. Byrne also had Clark Kent as the real person, with
Superman being the mask. I loved that treatment. DC Comics has started
reversing that trend recently, with Clark again being the fumbling, stumbling,
nerd. Ugh! On the second point, the original Supes of '38 wasn't as strong as
he later became. Couldn't even fly at first. Over the years he became a
demi-god able to push whole planets out of orbit. That's too much for me, makes
the character less believable (yeah, funny!) and makes good stories hard to
write. H
ow many villains can you craft to challenge a god? John Byrne took it back to
basics, with the post-Crisis character being weaker--relatively speaking. The
Supes of the recent cartoons is an example of that. I liked that treatment too.
DC comics has again reversed the trend, with the powers creeping back up.
There's a new mini-series by Frank Quietey (he did New X-Men after the first
movie) even listing Supes as being able to lift several *quadrillion* tons!
Boooring!

From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Good Casting. But I bet Welling will not want to have anything to do
with larger than live characters after smallville

Tracey

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/LRMolB/TM