same. Completely chaning the race? That's just crazy.

From: "g123curious" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
As I read the article below, Gray's comments reminded me of the
movie, "Memoirs of a Geisha" what had several Chinese actors
portraying Japanese characters. The actors were all fine actors but
this film's casting approach pissed off people, too.

George
Captain
USS McNair

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
some people again balking at the whitewashing of a black character
in a Hollywood film.
> http://www.post-gazette.com/popup.asp?img=http://www.post-
gazette.com/images4/20060815ap_wtchero_450.jpg

> Bebeto Matthews/The Associated Press
>
> *Jason Thomas of Columbus, Ohio, helped rescue Port Authority
police officers John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno on 9/11. In Oliver
Stone's movie, "World Trade Center," a white actor was cast to
portray Thomas. **

> This time it's the character of Marine Sgt. Thomas, one of two
former Marines who help rescue New York Port Authority Officers Will
Jimeno and John McLoughlin from beneath 20 feet of twisted metal,
broken concrete and sparking debris in the aftermath of the Sept. 11
attacks. In the film, white actor William Mapother -- who's Tom
Cruise's cousin and who played Ethan Rom in the first season
of "Lost" and Quecreek miner John "Flathead" Phillippi in ABC's "The
Pennsylvania Miners' Story" -- plays Sgt. Thomas.

> Last week, the real Sgt. Thomas -- a black, former Marine named
Jason Thomas of Columbus, Ohio -- came forward and told his
story. "Someone needed help. It didn't matter who," Thomas told the
Associated Press. "I didn't even have a plan. But I have all this
training as a Marine, and all I could think was, 'My city is in
need.' "

> So, instead of heading to class at the John Jay College of
Criminal Justice at City University of New York that fateful
morning, he headed toward the devastation. At ground zero, he ran
into another ex-Marine and Connecticut accountant, Staff Sgt. David
Karnes, and the two decided to search for survivors. Eventually they
found Jimeno and McLoughlin. Karnes, who couldn't reach Manhattan's
911 from his cell phone at ground zero, called his sister in
Munhall, Joy Karnes. She helped relay information to New York
emergency services that helped them pinpoint the trapped men's
location.

> Film producer Michael Shamberg apologized to Thomas for the racial
inaccuracy in the film, saying they realized the mistake only after
production had already begun, the Associated Press reported. That
apology comes a bit late for Paradise Gray, 42, of Wilkinsburg who
sent out e-mails to hundreds of thousands via African-American list
serves and Internet groups, such as the Luv4Self Network yesterday
calling for a boycott of the film.

> "You want to apologize to me?" Mr. Gray says. "Stop it."
>
> Black men so rarely are portrayed or presented as heroes in
popular culture and the media that when the opportunity to do so
arises, they should be, he says. "It's so natural for Hollywood to
assume that every hero is a white man," Mr. Gray wrote in his e-
mail. "Hollywood has always changed facts and edited history. From
Charlton Heston as Moses and Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra. They are
only continuing their tradition of whitewashing our history."

> He also criticized the black community for not speaking out more.
The Jewish community's mantra is "never forget" while the black
community's mantra is "forgive and forget," he said. The black
community should speak up every time this happens. Six years ago,
there was a similar controversy surrounding color-blind casting in
the film "Pay It Forward." Kevin Spacey's white burn victim in the
movie actually was a black Vietnam veteran in the book.

> Though disappointed his character in the "World Trade Center"
movie wasn't black, Thomas, who lived on Long Island during the
attacks and now works as an officer in Ohio's Supreme Court, told
the Associated Press he's not upset. "I don't want to shed any
negativity on what they were trying to show," he said.

> The movie is much bigger than him, Thomas told the New Pittsburgh
Courier, and it's the people who lost their lives who need to
remembered.