I'm not sure what to say about this publicity stunt.  Seeing as how the devices
aren't small, and they are lighted advertisements, didn't the marketers have
some kind of obligation to get permission to put them out? This was a little
more than nailing a sign to a telephone pole, after all. If nothing else, I'd
have obtained some type of permission from the city before dumping several
dozen electronic devices on bridges and stuff. They might have been simply
destroyed at best. And, I have to say, this marketing campaign wasn't all that
effective if the things sat unnoticed for three weeks. I live in Atlanta, spend
all my time in the city where this campaign should be most noticeable. Most of
all, I drive by the Cartoon Network headquarters at least ten times a week, and
I *never* saw a one-foot cartoon character giving me the finger!

Did any of you in Austin, San Fran, Chi-Town, or NYC notice these things?

2 Men Held on Bond in Boston Hoax Case
By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer
3 hours ago
BOSTON - Two men who authorities say placed electronic advertising devices
around the city were released from jail Thursday, apparently amused with the
publicity stunt that stirred fears of terrorism and shut down parts of the city.
Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28, were released on $2,500 cash bond
after each pleaded not guilty to placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct
for a device found Wednesday at a subway station. They waved and smiled as they
greeted people in court.
Outside, they met reporters and television cameras and launched into a
nonsensical discussion of hair styles of the 1970s. "What we really want to
talk about today _ it's kind of important to some people _ it's haircuts of the
1970s," Berdovsky said.
But as he walked off, Berdovsky gave a more serious comment.
"We need some time to really sort things out and, you know, figure out our
response to this situation in other ways than talking about hair," Berdovsky
said. "So if you could just give us some privacy for a little bit. ... I will
be trying to make sense of all it real soon."
Officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV
show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on bridges and other high-profile spots across
the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of
bomb squads. The surreal series is about a talking milkshake, a box of fries
and a meatball. The network is a division of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc.
"It's clear the intent was to get attention by causing fear and unrest that
there was a bomb in that location," Assistant Attorney General John Grossman
said at their arraignment.
The 1-foot tall signs, which were lit up at night, resembled a circuit board,
with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy, cartoon character
giving passersby the finger _ a more obvious sight when darkness fell.
The men did not speak or enter their own pleas, but they appeared amused and
smiled as the prosecutor talked about the device found at Sullivan Station
underneath Interstate 93, looking like it had C-4 explosive.
"The appearance of this device and its location are crucial," Grossman said.
"This device looks like a bomb."
Some in the gallery snickered.
Outside the courthouse, Michael Rich, a lawyer for both of the men, said the
description of a bomb-like device could be used for any electronic device.
"If somebody had left a VCR on the ground it would have been a device with
wires, electronic components and a power source," he said.
Boston officials were livid when the devices were discovered.
"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of
marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said Wednesday. "I am prepared to take
any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any
and all expenses incurred during the response to today's incidents."
Berdovsky, an artist, told The Boston Globe he was hired by a marketing company
and said he was "kind of freaked out" by the furor.
"I find it kind of ridiculous that they're making these statements on TV that
we must not be safe from terrorism, because they were up there for three weeks
and no one noticed. It's pretty commonsensical to look at them and say this is
a piece of art and installation," he said.
Fans of the show mocked authorities for what they called an overreaction.
About a dozen fans gathered outside Charlestown District Court on Thursday
morning with signs saying "1-31-07 Never Forget" and "Free Peter."
"We're the laughing stock," said Tracy O'Connor, 34.
"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26.
"You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."
Authorities vowed to hold Turner accountable for what Menino said was
"corporate greed," that led to at least $750,000 in police costs.
As soon as Turner realized the Boston problem around 5 p.m., it said, law
enforcement officials were told of their locations in 10 cities where it said
the devices had been placed for two to three weeks: Boston, New York, Los
Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San
Francisco and Philadelphia.
"We apologize to the citizens of Boston that part of a marketing campaign was
mistaken for a public danger," said Phil Kent, chairman of Turner, a division
of Time Warner Inc.
Kent said the marketing company that placed the signs, Interference Inc., was
ordered to remove them immediately.
New York-based Interference had no comment. A guard in the building where the
firm's offices are located would not let reporters inside, and no one answered
the firm's phones Thursday.
Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were
left with several publicists.
Authorities are investigating whether Turner or other companies should be
criminally charged, Attorney General Martha Coakley said. "We're not going to
let this go without looking at the further roots of how this happened to cause
the panic in this city," Coakley said.
In Seattle and several suburbs, the removal of the signs was low-key. "We
haven't had any calls to 911 regarding this," Seattle police spokesman Sean
Whitcomb said Wednesday.
Police in Philadelphia said they believed their city had 56 devices.
The New York Police Department removed 41 of the devices _ 38 in Manhattan and
three in Brooklyn, according to spokesman Paul Browne. The NYPD had not
received any complaints. But when it became aware of the situation, it
contacted Interference Inc., which provided the locations so the devices could
be removed.
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as
part of a block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length
film based on the show is slated for release March 23.
___
Associated Press Writer Tom Hays in New York contributed to this report.