I live and work in Boston. This has been all over the news here. Our
government incurred a large expense with the bomb disposal squads,
police overtime to stop traffic; and for a time the subways were
shut down.

IMHO, the marketers definitely had an obligation to do 2 things: a)
notify local law enforcement about their intent to put these
devices, and b) ask the permission of the private property owners
upon whose property they placed the devices. They didn't do either.
I don't know what you've read, but devices were hung on both private
and public property here in Boston.

Regarding the youth that support this "guerilla marketing", their
approach to any physical space is the same as their approach to
content on the Internet... anything and any space is fair game for
their purposes. They don't seem to understand (or don't care) that
placing the devices on people's private property without their
permission is the same as defacing walls with graffitti... not that
graffitti is acceptable anywhere.

People, especially the youth, need to remember that this is the town
where 2 planes took off from our airport that crashed into buildings
on 9-11. So the heightened state of vigilance here is understandable
and appropriate. IMHO, the people that yell today about our local
government's supposed "over reaction" would likely be the same
people yelling if the government didn't respond and it was a true
terrorist attack.

It is unclear if the devices were up for 3 weeks here. They were up
longer in other cities, but most people here say they weren't up
long here.

People need to remember that there is already some unease in Boston.
There are 2 nuclear reactors within a 1.5 hour drive of the city;
plus several biochemical facilities within city limits, and one of
the 4 larges LNG terminals is across Boston harbor in Chelsea. With
all of those high-value targets nearby, a heightened state of
vigilence is very appropriate, IMHO.

I definitely believe that the Turner Network and the Cartoon Network
should reimburse my city for their expenses. I don't want to pay
those expenses thru higher taxes, to fund their self-interested
marketing stunt. If they don't pay, you can bet I'll work hard for a
boycott of their cable channels.

George
Captain
USS Ronald E. McNair (Boston)

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm not sure what to say about this publicity stunt.  Seeing as
how the devices aren't small, and they are lighted advertisements,
didn't the marketers have some kind of obligation to get permission
to put them out? This was a little more than nailing a sign to a
telephone pole, after all. If nothing else, I'd have obtained some
type of permission from the city before dumping several dozen
electronic devices on bridges and stuff. They might have been simply
destroyed at best. And, I have to say, this marketing campaign
wasn't all that effective if the things sat unnoticed for three
weeks. I live in Atlanta, spend all my time in the city where this
campaign should be most noticeable. Most of all, I drive by the
Cartoon Network headquarters at least ten times a week, and I
*never* saw a one-foot cartoon character giving me the finger!

> Did any of you in Austin, San Fran, Chi-Town, or NYC notice these
things?

> 2 Men Held on Bond in Boston Hoax Case
> By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer
> 3 hours ago
> BOSTON - Two men who authorities say placed electronic advertising
devices around the city were released from jail Thursday, apparently
amused with the publicity stunt that stirred fears of terrorism and
shut down parts of the city.

<snip>