I did a lot of research on Costa Rica as well as we have a friend that
just returned after a three year stay.  Despite my problems, I think
Mexico is better for what you want to do.  I keep hearing that they are
not that friendly to you if you are not a native of Costa Rica.  Also it
can be more expensive than Mexico.  They are several popular locations
for immersion in Mexico. We live in one of them.  It is not my
favorite.  We are moving to one of my favorites.

*Cuernavaca - easy to get to by plane and cheap  as low as $260 - $260
1-1/2 to 4 hours by plane to most places in the states.  If I had not
been too weak, we would have moved there in November.  Since I'm getting
better we are moving there in May.  lots of fun, people from all over
the world seem to live there.  The riches area of Mexico so you see less
poor than most place.  Seems to be active music, arts, ecological, and
science movements, lots to do there, near pyramids, not real dry, not
real wet.  I really enjoyed myself when i visited and I was sick.
*Guanajuato  - My friends says its extremely beautiful, very cool in the
winter (snow), not many expatriates, low crime
*Oxaca - Was one of the best places to live in Mexico.  all bets are off
now.  Stay away.  Last years teacher's strike turned deadly in the
fall.  the governor's troops are still disappearing teachers and
recently killed a foreign reporter who took pictures.
*Xalapa - the city is ugly,  no to low crime, People are super friendly,
kind of young.  It is a college town.  Its also kind of provincial with
large pockets of very progressive people.   Big music town too. area is
gorgeous, there are about 4 micro-eco-systems here.  I'm in a cloud
forest in the mountains, but thirty minutes away is tropical, about
every twenty minutes you run into a different type of fruit that is grown
*Morellia - Very beautiful, but conservative
*San Miguel de Allendez - extremely beautiful, very expensive.  Many
Americans have moved there.  Big Artist haven.  I hope to visit in the
fall as it is not that far from where I am moving

Let me decide if you guys decide to check it out.  If we are still here,
we will help.

Tracey

B. Smith wrote:

> Well get well soon T and I hope everything works out for you and your
> family. In my fantasy world where we win the lotto and ride off into
> the sunset, I plan to go to Mexico or Costa Rica and attend one of
> the immersive language schools. If I could convince Uncle Sam that
> they need more bilingual people in my profession they might pay for
> it.
>
> As far as the Wife aka Computer Tyrant: We're finally getting a
> second computer. Now I just need to a place to put it.
>
> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:scifinoir2%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
> Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Regarding Mexico>
> >
> > You should not go by me. I got sick on my third day here (didn't
> know
> > it at the time) and almost died in October. We have made great
> > friends. People adopt you here like you are a relative. The
> African
> > Americans adopt you too. I think I have a new uncle and cousin.
> Now
> > that I'm getting better, since I can't really go out much, Our
> friends
> > bring food, booze, kids for my daughter to play and come over. So
> it is
> > an interesting convalescence.
> >
> > A few weeks ago, my husband, my brother in law and my daughter
> explored
> > some ruins and then when to the beach. I hope to go back there and
> > the hot springs before we move out of this area. My husband also
> went
> > exploring on the 5th tallest mountain in North American a few weeks
> > ago. Right now I live in the mountains so it is always cold and
> rainy.
> > however, it is about to get real hot for the remaining months I'm
> at
> > this location. My illness almost destroyed our company, but now
> things
> > are picking up a lot. As soon as I'm better we are moving to
> Cuernvaca
> > to finnaly set up our office. However, don't hold me too that,
> > sometimes we really want to live on the Yucatan by the beach.
> > Unfortunately, that not the best place to do business. But i
> really
> > love the location we plan to move to. Business of all the things
> > happening with the business we plan on staying another two years to
> get
> > things set up and then either come back to the States, or check out
> > Barcelona. We have relative there and I won't have to start all
> over
> > with a new lnguage. Who knows? Right now, I'm just focusing on
> getting
> > better and adapting to this business growth.
> >
> > Tell your wife you hve scifinoir obligations.
> >
> > Tracey
> >
> > B. Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been M.I.A. because work is a bear and my wife has been
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: