Keith;
  Most of the time I hear that term, it's from ignorant goons who know nothing
about themselves, let alone having never left the boundaries of their own
neighborhood...And ANY idiot who accuses someone of 'acting white' or black or
anything else on that level has a self-esteem problem they're trying to
compensate for...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  "Acting white", being a "race traitor", or "oreo"--the concepts are among the
most difficult to define. For example, I've used standard English all my life,
not so much Black street slang. So I "talked white" according to my peers back
then. I have a nasal voice, so I sound like a "honky" to some. I got good
grades in school and respected my teachers, so was deemed a "kiss up".I did not
participate in group gropings of sisters in shop (no kidding--one girl was
literally felt up every day, including her underwear being pulled down) or
disrespect Sisters, so I was a "punk" to some. I loved Star Trek and all things
scifi, comics, cartoons, and science, so I was called "nerd". To most Blacks I
was more white than Black. To most whites too. Yet my parents filled my home
with Black encyclopedia, Black music, and we went to a Black church. I knew
more about my heritage than any of the thugs or athletes who were deemed "real"
Blacks. And i daresay I loved my race more deeply than
 most. No
w, many people who know me think I'm *too* focused on Black issues.

Yet then we have people like Condoleeza or Clarence Thomas whose credentials in
growing up "Black" on the surface are impeccable, yet I'd call them "oreo".

Isn't life a strange thing?

From: Martin
None taken, Keith. If anything, I need to mind my posts better.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: No offense on that "Oreo" thing. From every thing I've
read, you're proud to be black and support black people. My definition is
reserved for others like the two I mentioned. I've been called Oreo too and
it's never applied. Unlike Rice and Thomas, I'm assuming you don't pretend to
be white, love only white people, and try to dismantle all programs that could
help less fortunate people.

From: Martin
Now, I've been referred to as an Oreo for most of my conscious life, so I take
umbrage at being classed in with Clarence and Condi. Otherwise, I won't stop
you. You can't jump on a bandwagon just because the driver is smeone you like
the looks of. Said driver could eb the worst on record, a drunk, suicidal or
flat-out blind.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Well, ain't that interesting. I was just in a
discussion with someone over the reasons why Blacks (according to polls) seem
to be currently supporting Hillary over Obama. I contend it's not a self-hatred
thing, but simply that most Blacks simply don't know him well enough to support
him yet. I, for example, always support Blacks when possible, but the first I
heard of Obama was after his DNC speech. The pundits were telling me he'd
probably be our first Black Prez. I didn't know if the man was left of center,
center, right of center, crazy, a dissembler, what have you. Only now am I
getting any picture of his politics and beliefs. Before that it'd have been
foolish to give him unreserved support. Hillary may be a chameleon, but at
least Blacks have had years to know her, and they feel that despite her
admitted positioning on the issues, she and Bill are overall decent people who
care about us. It's a connection, a likeability factor. Obama
has it, but it's so new people simply h
ave to see what else is there to recommend him. As for supporting him sight
unseen, as it were, that's not a good idea. I mean, you can't get much blacker
than Clarence Thomas or Condolezza Rice, and they're about as white inside as
an Oreo cookie. They'd have been the slaves on the plantation turning me in as
I was plotting an escape or revolt against Massah.

All that being said, is Obama losing and going to lose more support because
other Blacks feel he can't win? That's the one reason--outside of a self-hatred
belief that a Black is less qualified than a white--that I can't support. If
we're that fatalistic, a Black candidate will never make it all the way...

S. Carolina black leaders back Clinton
By JIM DAVENPORT, Associated Press WriterTue Feb 13, 4:23 PM ET
Two key black political leaders in South Carolina who backed John Edwards in
2004 said Tuesday they are supporting Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's bid for the
Democratic presidential nomination.
State Sens. Robert Ford and Darrell Jackson told The Associated Press they
believe Clinton is the only Democrat who can win the presidency. Both said they
had been courted by Illinois Sen. Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record); Ford
said Obama winning the primary would drag down the rest of the party.
"Then everybody else on the ballot is doomed," Ford said. "Every Democratic
candidate running on that ticket would lose because he's black and he's at the
top of the ticket — we'd lose the House, the Senate and the governors and
everything."
"I'm a gambling man. I love Obama," Ford said. "But I'm not going to kill
myself."
Ford said he was swayed by calls from former President Clinton and Hillary
Clinton. He said she has solid support in Charleston, one of the key regions in
the state with a significant black Democratic voting population.
Jackson, who also is the minister of a large church in the state's capital
city, said Edwards — a South Carolina native who won the state's Democratic
primary three years ago — had his chance.
"I feel as if he's had his opportunity," Jackson said.
The endorsements come just days before Obama and Clinton campaign in the state
for the first time as 2008 candidates.
Support from black voters is key in South Carolina, where 49 percent of the
Democratic presidential primary vote came from blacks in 2004. The state will
host the first Southern primaries for both the GOP and Democrats in 2008.
Clinton's campaign spokesman Mo Elleithee said they were happy to have Ford and
Jackson's support.
"We're grateful we're starting to get the support of some key leaders,"
Elleithee said.

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"

"Such music flow on the Fringe...and no one can resist singing to Scarlet." -
The Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie