"I'd kiss you if it wouldn't kill me."

~ Charlotte (Chuck) Charles

This is TV made for me!  I am loving every precious moment of "Pushing
Daisies."  I have read several critics who have complained about Barry
Sonnenfield's crayon-colored direction, but I am a big fan of
Sonnenfield, especially his "early, funny" stuff such as "Men In
Black" (the first one), "Get Shorty," and "The Addams Family" movies
(not so much the later stuff like "RV").

"Pushing Daisies" has way too complicated a set-up and nearly as
complicated a set of rules.  Ned, the pie guy, can touch dead people,
bringing them back to life, BUT if he doesn't touch them again within
a minute, killing them again, someone nearby must die instead.  If
said dead person continues to live past one minute, they will stay
alive unless they touch Ned again, in which case they stay dead
forever. Wow, those are more conditions than most credit card reward
programs have.

Okay, Ned as played by Lee Pace, has this quirky Kevin Spacey thing
going on and, while Anna Friel (erstwhile childhood friend/untouchable
girlfriend, Chuck) is WAY too thin for my taste, she is quite
fetching.  Chi McBride as Emmerson Cod, P.I., as usual, is great.

There are great lines of dialogue:

Chuck:  You can't just touch somebody and be done with it.
Ned:  Yes, I can.  That's how I roll."

Ned: (wonders why Chuck is being buried so soon after her death).
Emmerson: She's Jewish.  Christians believe in keeping them laying
around but Jews got to get them in the ground.

Ned: (discovering a dead body):I wonder how long she's been here?
Emmerson:  Touch the bitch and ask her.

I don't know about you, but EYE gotta love that kinda stuff.

I don't know if the writers can sustain the dark whimsy of the
premiere episode but even if they can, I can't see this series having
legs.  It is just too precious to live.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone watching this new series? It's quirky to say the least.
Reminds me in a way of a live, macabre Dr. Seuss tale. For those who
don't know the man guy--Ned--has the ability to bring any dead thing
back to life. The problem is, if the person is still alive one minute
later, the universe requires a balance: in other words, a nearby
person will drop dead instead. Ned discovered this as a young boy who
revived his mother, only to note that the neighbor across the street
dropped dead one minute later. The other problem is, once Ned touches
a person to revive  him/her, if he *ever* touches that person again,
that person dies--permanently. He discovered that the same day he
revived his mom, when she dropped dead after kissing him goodnight.

> Now Ned bakes pies, using his powers to make the fruit fresh. he's
discovered by a private eye (Chi McBride) who blackmails Ned: he keeps
the secret as long as Ned uses his power to revive dead crime victims
for one minute. Just long enough for them to tell Ned who killed them,
and then let the detective "solve" the case and collect the credit and
the reward.   another problem: Ned's long lost love was killed, and he
revived her, but couldn't bring himself to kill her again. Now the
girl of his dreams is alive, but he can never touch her. Sad, quirky,
darkly humorous. Has a fast-paced dialog that reminds me at times of
"Moonlighting" or "Gilmore Girls". Odd, pastel and old-fashioned sets,
that remind me of "Edward Scissorhands" at times.

> Not sure I'll want to see it every week, but I'm enjoying it
tonight. Let me know what you think--especially you, Martin.