--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella (formerly
Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What Happen to the Great
> African American Author?
> by LaShelle Turner
> <http://www.thesop.org/html/writers.php?writer=turner> Posted
October
> 12, 2007

<SNIP!>
> The publishing industry is sending a message to African American
> readers. Black Americans do read, but only at a superficial
level.
> Substance and great writing talent does not sell; well at least in
our
> communities.

Actually, I think its the same syndrome as the Black Movie
industry.  Movies like Soul Plane get  multi-million dollar
promotion while movies like Why Did I Get Married don't.  To
paraphrase Marshall McCluan(sp?) - the media don't tell us that to
think, but they *do* tell us what to think about.