I revisit "She's Gotta Have It" often because I think it is a lovely
film.  Lee's early films suffer because he had too many tools in his
trick bag and he wanted to use them all.  Early Spike often went for
the showy - the "look-at-me" shot or technique - as if he was trying
to show everybody what he had learned in film school.  He remains
overly fond of his patented tracking walking shot (where actors look
as if they are being pulled toward the camera) which I find mostly
annoying.  Tyler's early films suffer because his trick bag was empty.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would suggest looking at ³She¹s Gotta Have It² and ³School Daze²
again. I
> did. Overused crane shots and bad editing were staples of his early
work.
> And by early work -- I mean the first 6 films. The dude who did
³25th Hour²
> and ³Inside Man² is a waaaay more mature filmmaker than the dude
who did
> ³Joe¹s Bed-Stuy Barber Shop²,  and it¹s supposed to be that way.
>
> Comparing Tyler to early Spike is compliment to both artists. I¹m
saying
> Tyler is growing fast, but he is heavy-handedly making Black
movies. There
> is a market and a demand. Tyler has already identified the market
with his
> plays and DVDs. The Tyler Perry brand is a great business. Just
like Spike
> (who,  let¹s not forget,  now runs and AD agency, is a great
> brand/business. Like Spike, once Tyler gets these stories off his
chest, he
> will get his auteur on and, I believe, we will see some interesting
> filmmaking. He had to get out of the dress first (just like Spike
had to put
> Mars Blackmon down) so that he can focus on his craft.
>
> I also  wanna go back to something said earlier. ³Why Did I Get
Married² got
> a LOT of advertising (and PR) money put behind it. You could not go
to  a
> major Black website, radio show, or magazine without seeing this
film¹s
> promo poster or banner ad or hear the radio spot. The cast was on
Oprah. Tom
> Joyner. Tyler was on CNN. This film was set up lovely. And it paid
off.  A
> lot of Black oriented films are not set up this lovely.
>
> On 10/17/07 12:43 PM, "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Tyler Perry is to new Spike Lee as New Coke is to Coke - a watered
> > down substitute.  Lee went to NYU film school and has real
filmmaking
> > chops.  Perry didn't and doesn't.  His films are so raggedy they
> > embarrass me - and EYE ain't got nothing to do with it.
> >
> > ~(no)rave!
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scifinoir2%
40yahoogroups.com> ,

Spike