If you have liberal leanings, why are you rallying behind ANYone? The person
to rally behind is yourself. We need to stop needing a celebrity to validate
our ideas.

About 3 weeks ago, Rush Limbaugh was interviewed about his recent rehab
stint. It was an interesting interview, but the end was the best  part,
where  he basically says the radio  show is ³a performance².  A lot of us
take what  Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter,  and Rush  say to  heart,  when really,
they¹re just  doing what  Howard Stern does. Sean Hannity cannot believe 99%
of what he says,  but if he spoke  common sense,  he¹d be making  what,
$35,000 a year  on some random AM station? But  we, as the listening/viewing
public, DO believe him and operate day to  day like what these people say
matter.  The argument  is ³well they¹re speaking to  millions of people.
What  they  say matters.² By this logic,  J. Anthony  Brown should be
considered one of the most  dangerous people in America. The Tom Joyner
Morning show reaches like 8 million people a DAY. But it¹s an act. A gag.
Something  to  fill space between ads. That¹s all ANY of these people are,
and I am so  tired of the books, the interviews, the sound bytes, the
websites, the TV shows, the radio shows...after  7  years and all the
analysis, the best and most  relevant commentary  about  how  paranoid and
terror driven our society has become is STILL the movie ³Brazil². Does that
mean we rally behind Terry Gilliam? No. It means there are a lot of people
out to make a buck or 900 thousand. The song never changes.

This is why, personally, I consume more science fiction media than anything
else. As I¹ll get to  in another post later, I also  watch  a lot more old
movies. Because some of the best  social commentary is found there, and
attached to  really wonderful ideas! Gene Roddenberry once quoted Ray
Bradbury as saying: ³Science Fiction may be one of the last places in our
society where the philosopher can roam as freely as he chooses².

As for the question of the third party, the fact that people still subscribe
to the two party illusion is an even BIGGER problem. There are two parties
alright, cash rich and credit rich. Old money and new money. I will never
forget in 2004 how ³liberal²  cats were out here begging  Ralph Nader not to
run because we ³couldn¹t afford him².  What  the hell kind of democratic
process gets thrown off by MORE CHOICES? This ³I don¹t wanna hear anything a
Jets fan has to  say because I am a Giants fan til I die² trip  we¹re on is
ridiculous. Both teams play on the same field! So it is with this
democrat/republican nonsense. Laugh all ya want  about Rudy or the Law &
Order guy --  but last time the Democrats trotted out John Kerry.  If Al
Gore today announced that he was running for President  --  as a Republican
--  democrats and liberal  types would shut  him down. Conservative types
would treat him like Peyton Manning  coming to the Dolphins. The system does
not work.  There¹s no changing  it from within. We need more common sense.