My 15 year-old daughter is taking an honors level course
called "British Authors" this semester and her "British Authors"
class, which read Beowulf this semester, are taking a field trip to
see the movie at one of the suburban movie palaces showing the movie
in 3-D.  Eye, one the other hand, will probably not see it til it
gets to the Budget theater (where I get most of my cinema in my old
age).

That said, any movie where Angelina Jolie says she was "embarrassed"
to see herself naked?  I am SO there!

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone plan to see "Beowulf"?  I'm intrigued by the story, but
frankly a little leery of the visual technology Zemeckis is using.
The so-called "Polar Express" look, layering CGI-like effects over
real life capture images, simply looks a little--creepy to me.  One
problem I have with so much standard CGI movies like "Final Fantasy"
or any of the myriad kid flicks, is that the humans often don't look
real. They're stiff, facial and body muscles not smoothly or
realistically drawn. The technology's getting better, true, but right
now some of the characters look like walking corpses.  Some of the
scenes I've seen from "Beowulf" are no different. Though better
looking than "Polar Express", the characters still look stiff and
dead to me.
> Wonder why they didn't go with live action and then special effects
like LOTR, or a live action/animation/CGI mix like "Sin City"
and "300"?

> And i gotta admit, everytime I see the title character yell "I--am--
Beowulf!" I keep thinking of Leonidas' "This--is--Sparta!" and i
laugh.