And, frankly, I don't think I'd *want* to have it told in two hours. I remember
being left severely wanting by the Rankin-Bass version, though it was a thing
of beauty. I still ring whenever I think about it.

Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would venture a guess it was because one picture would be 6 hours long.
The LOTR movies were pretty long and King Kong wasn¹t exactly something you
could catch before dinner.

On 12/18/07 2:47 PM, "Bosco Bosco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It seems odd that they're making two films out the Hobbit? Anyone
> know why?
>
> Bosco
> --- Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:yokozuna%40globalsoulmedia.com> > wrote:
>

>> > source:
>> >
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ie2960ff97697ea62
>> > 71399e8be7399978
>> >
>> > Dec 19, 2007
>> > NEW YORK -- The eagerly awaited prequels to the "Lord of the Rings"
>> > trilogy
>> > will finally hit the big screen.
>> >
>> > MGM and New Line have pacted to co-finance and co-distribute "The
>> > Hobbit"
>> > and a sequel to the film. New Line will handle distribution in
>> > North
>> > America, and MGM will distribute the J.R.R. Tolkien adaptations
>> > internationally.
>> >
>> > Putting aside what once seemed like irreconcilable differences over
>> > the
>> > filmmaker's profit participation, "Rings" writer-director Peter
>> > Jackson and
>> > New Line have settled all litigation over the nearly $3
>> > billion-grossing
>> > "Rings" trilogy. Jackson and Fran Walsh will executive produce the
>> > films, to
>> > be shot simultaneously, and New Line will manage their production.
>> >
>> > Preproduction will begin soon, and principal photography is
>> > tentatively set
>> > for 2009. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the
>> > sequel in
>> > 2011.
>> >
>> > Jackson, MGM chairman and CEO Harry Sloan and New Line co-chairman
>> > and
>> > co-CEOs Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne jointly made the announcement
>> > Tuesday
>> > morning.
>> >

>> > "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences
>> > behind us, so
>> > that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line,"
>> > Jackson
>> > said. " 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with
>> > Bob and
>> > Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal
>> > fans all
>> > over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through
>> > Middle
>> > Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM
>> > for
>> > helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that
>> > journey."
>> >
>> > Said Sloan, "Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who
>> > can
>> > bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life, and we
>> > full-heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be
>> > making
>> > 'The Hobbit.' Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we
>> > can focus
> [...]

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"