It is noteworthy that when Japan lost World War 2 and basically had
democracy forced upon them, they studied the various forms of world
democracy and decided to go with the parlimentary system.  I have long
been in favor of the parlimentary system.  If we had the parlimentary
system Bush would have been voted down in a vote of no confidence a
long time ago.  On the other hand, we might be in our third or fourth
Clinton adminstration by now.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hillary wins, Obama second, Edwards a solid (and sadly, consistent)
third.  McCain wins, flip-flop Romney second, Huckabee, Guliani, Ron
Paul small but significant percentages. What will happen? Down the
line Hillary and Obama will have to court Edwards, same for the
Republicans (can't say who must court whom there, 'cause not sure
who'll be stuck in third and fourth on that side).   Heck, it might be
possible that we actually go all the win to the conventions before a
clear winner is chosen! Backroom deals, party favors traded--what a trip!

> The thing that saddens me is that despite all of the above, America
has become a two-party system. True independents, populist movements,
little known but important issues--all get ignored in the wake of the
two behemoths that crush or absorb the smaller town criers. The voices
of the Kucinich's, Edwards and even fringe guys like Paul get
silenced, or at best, made promises of inclusion, then get used,
absorbed and forgotten. Or, perhaps they get a seat at the table by
selling their souls.

> True change doesn't come often when you force all issues into two
badly fitting paths of Democrats and Republicans, whose labels are
inconsistent and inaccurate. The two-party system allows the status
quo to continue. But if we Americans could force a multi-party system,
if we could craft a country where party was less important than
principle, where true coalitions could be built, maybe things would be
different? How cool would it be if Congress had 17% people from the
Progressive party of John Edwards, 10% from the Take Back America
party of Ron Paul, 11% from the Real Patriot party of Kucinich? What
if an independent or third party candidate could actually win without
having to declare for the Elephants or the Donkeys?  What if here in
Georgia and other states, we didn't get forced to declare for only one
party in the primaries?   It seems to me that this two-party system,
this lack of coalition building, is hurting us. The process is
strange, skewed, inaccurate and broken.