I may be stepping into it...but what exactly is wrong with a public
official supporting the wishes of his constituents?  I wish that my
officials here really supported my beliefs instead of catering to the
religious right.  Of course, you can say that they are supporting
them---but that's my point.  Wasn't he being a true representative of
Mass. voters at that time?  Now he is claiming that he could be a true
representative of conservative voters.  Isn't that his job?

I am still recalling listening to a "This American Life" episode in
which a guy who was pro-choice supported Bush because he didn't
flip-flop on issues.  He admitted that he didn't like any of Bush's
stances on issuses, but he voted for him because he didn't flip-flop.
Why on earth should I vote for someone who won't vote my way?  He's my
representative, not a representative of his own convictions.  If he can
change my mind because he believes me wrong, that's one thing.  But he
shouldn't be voting his convictions whilly-nilly.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now.  :-)

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Like i said, an opportunistic flip-flopper. He was pro-choice, pro
immigration (in terms of working something out instead of sounding like
a Klansman), not averse to taxes as needed (which he calls "fees", but
same difference). I heard a speech he gave just a few years back where
he explicitly said he didn't want to try and recreate the Reagan days.
Now he's a rabid ultr-conservative nut who evokes Reagan more than some
of us call on God!