Sources: 'Jericho' To Wrap It Up

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Feb-21-2008

It looks like the "Jericho" experiment is about to come to an end.

Sources have told SyFy Portal that CBS is gearing up to air the series
finale version of the post-apocalyptic series on March 25, one of two
endings shot that would either allow a cliffhanger going into a third
season, or a proper amount of closure for "Jericho" fans who fought hard
to force CBS to reconsider its previous decision to cancel the show.

"There are a lot of people here who really care about what happens to
'Jericho,' and I think we all wanted to see it succeed," the source, who
asked not to be identified, said. "Numbers are numbers, and [CBS] had to
do what [CBS] had to do."

Ratings for the first two episodes were well below even some of the
worst numbers the show experienced at the end of the first season which
helped prompt network officials to move toward cancellation. Although it
is competing in a post-"American Idol" scheduling environment, "Jericho"
struggled to compete with shows that were either in reruns, or not part
of mainstream viewing habits.

At the same time, audiences in key demographics of 18 to 49 -- a demo
that isn't typically attracted to CBS for many of its other programmings
-- were noticeably absent from the first pair of viewings from the show,
and there is little chance they'll suddenly return in the coming weeks.

But the decision isn't quite final yet ... network executives still have
room to change their mind.

"If the audience can come back to the show in the next two episodes, and
I mean a lot, [CBS] may reconsider," the source said. "Fans definitely
have a say, and they had a say last summer [with the 'Nuts to Jericho'
campaign], but I think the final decision this time is going to come
down to hard numbers, and they're just not there for 'Jericho.'"

Please note that none of this has been confirmed by CBS, and should be
treated as any rumor would.

"Jericho" airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET on CBS.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424744.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: