Diana: "Being with you I can't tell what's right or wrong anymore."

Doctor: "It's better that way."

With basketball playoffs upon us, I have been extremely lax in
watching programs I have recorded.  Fortunately, both the Celtics of
Boston and the Lakers of Los Angeles have dispatched their opponents
early and I have a week to catch up before the NBA Finals begin.

First up: Dr. Who.  My DVR continues to record Who episodes even
though Freema Agyeman (my favorite Ghanaian-Iranian) is no longer the
program's companion of choice.

I am not a fan of Catherine Tate, a big horsey woman who sort of
clumps around eating scenery.  That said, I found "The Planet of the
Ood" to be both a great episode and a trenchant meditation on the
nature of slavery - a pretty amazing accomplishment in a 50 minute
teleplay.

There were several elements about this episode that I found appealing.
As usual, I like the multicultural cast which included both a black
man and an Indian woman in prominent roles.  I liked the Ood, a race
of peace loving octopi-heads who have been enslaved in a particularly
diabolical way.

Teleporting to an ice planet also gives Tate an opportunity to do a
bit of business that is actually funny.

Lastly, I was struck by how pervasive the melancholy that has clung
hung around David Tennant's portrayal of the tenth Doctor has become.
The Doctor is weary and clearly ready for the eleventh Doctor to take
his place.

~rave!