Meta, a shame that that message isn't making it to *my* side of the pond.

Meta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                             I'm with you on
this. I've always liked that we are used in a
 matter of fact way in this show, which is one reason why
 I like watching them with my children. They get to see that
 we're not super bad nor super good, just regular folk.

 Meta

 --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > I thought about the fact the black man was the principal slave driver
 > and the Indian woman was both a collaborator and an apologist for a
 > clearly corrupt business enterprise.  And it occurred to me that it
 > didn't bother me because of the matter-of-fact way minorities are
 > integrated into these stories.
 >
 > I think of another of my favorite "Who" episodes - the one where the
 > Dyleks are using depression era humans to build the Empire State
 > Building - where the leader of the Central Park squatter's camp and
 > the most heroic and moral person in the episode is a black man.
 >
 > It is this even-handedness that makes me a fan of the latest
 > incarnation of the good doctor.
 >
 > ~rave!
 >
 > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Mohareb"
 > <justinmohareb@> wrote:
 > >
 > > On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:37 AM, ravenadal <ravenadal@> wrote:
 > > > Diana: "Being with you I can't tell what's right or wrong anymore."
 > > >
 > > > Doctor: "It's better that way."
 > >
 > > Psst.  Donna.
 > > > I am not a fan of Catherine Tate, a big horsey woman who sort of
 > > > clumps around eating scenery. That said, I found "The Planet of the
 > > > Ood" to be both a great episode and a trenchant meditation on the
 > > > nature of slavery - a pretty amazing accomplishment in a 50 minute
 > > > teleplay.
 > > >
 > > > There were several elements about this episode that I found
 appealing.
 > > > As usual, I like the multicultural cast which included both a black
 > > > man and an Indian woman in prominent roles. I liked the Ood, a race
 > > > of peace loving octopi-heads who have been enslaved in a
 particularly
 > > > diabolical way.
 > >
 > > Were there any thoughts on the fact the black character in this was
 > > the slave driver of the piece?
 > >
 > > JJ Mohareb
 > >
 > > --
 > > Read the Bitter Guide to the Bitter Guy.
 > > http://thebitterguy.livejournal.com

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"