Congressman Clyburn, I say this to you, sir.

In the face of a truly defining moment in history, there is no shame in tears.

Tracey de Morsella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Clyburn feared being overcome by emotion with Obama speaking

 By T&D StaffThursday, June 05, 2008

 <http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2008/06/05/news/doc484732881cc0e76
 8356185.txt#tdcomments> Leave a Comment | Default
 <http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2008/06/05/news/doc484732881cc0e76
 8356185.txt>  | Large
 <http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2008/06/05/news/doc484732881cc0e76
 8356185.txt>

 COLUMBIA - House Majority Whip James Clyburn so feared being overcome with
 emotion that he left an event and went home to savor Sen. Barack Obama
 <http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/01/23/vgallery/doc4796c3299884b509875
 113.txt> 's victory speech Tuesday night, the congressman said Wednesday.

 In answer to a question by S.C. ETV's  Mark Quinn about what it felt like
 for him to watch the presumptive Democratic nominee take the stage in
 Minnesota to deliver his speech, Clyburn, long associated with the civil
 rights movement and the highest ranking African-American in Congress, made
 the admission.

 "Well, to tell you the truth, I was anticipating an emotion which I did not
 want to share in public. I was at an event where we were all watching the
 returns and when we got to the point that they said that Sen. Obama will be
 making that speech in a few minutes, I went home and sat alone to watch it.

 Because what I was feeling was indescribable and I was afraid that I would
 not be able to control my emotions . but I was able to do so," Clyburn said.

 "Sitting alone I felt that the 60-year journey was coming to fruition . it
 was in 1948, when the senator from South Carolina, Strom Thurmond, walked
 out of the Democratic Party over the issue of integration - integrating the
 armed forces. That's why he launched his states' rights campaign for
 president back in 1948. Here we are, 2008, 60 years later, and that same
 party has given its nomination for president to an African-American."

 The entire interview can be heard on South Carolina ETV's "The Big Picture
 on the Radio" program Friday at 9 a.m.

 Later in the interview, Clyburn was asked what he thought about a potential
 Obama/Hillary Clinton ticket:

 "I think that what we will have to do is say to Sens. Obama and Clinton,
 'Please, retire somewhere alone. You guys decide whether or not you can in
 fact offer yourselves up to the public in that way. Is the trust there? Are
 the loyalties there? Is the chemistry there? If Obama does not trust
 Clinton, if Clinton is not loyal to Obama, if the voting public can't see
 the chemistry that needs to be there, then it should not happen . Can (an
 Obama/Clinton ticket) work? Yes, it can. Will it work? I don't know.'"

 Meanwhile, Clyburn offered details on his decision as a superdelegate to
 back Obama.

 In a Tuesday statement, he said:

 "Today the primary process draws to a close.  From the beginning, I have
 made it clear that I would put the Democratic Party's best interest first
 and remain publicly neutral as this process ran its course, but it is now
 time to make my preference known.  Today I am pledging my delegate vote to
 Sen. Barack Obama
 <http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/01/23/vgallery/doc4796c3299884b509875
 113.txt>  for president of the United States.

 "I believe the nomination of Sen. Obama is our party's best chance for
 victory in November, and our nation's best hope for much-needed change.
 Sen. Obama brings a new vision for our future and new voters to our cause.
 He has created levels of energy and excitement that I have not witnessed
 since the 1960s.

 "Recent surveys indicate that Sen. Obama is by far the most preferred
 presidential candidate among Democrats and independents, and I believe he is
 the most electable candidate that Democrats can offer.  He will be able to
 dramatically change the electoral map for Democrats, which will in turn
 expands our majorities here in Congress, and help elect more Democrats at
 the state and local levels. Furthermore, I believe that Sen. Obama is the
 Democrat who can unite our people, help heal our nation's wounds, improve
 our standing on the world stage and steer our country in a new direction.

 "What is especially exciting about Sen. Obama's candidacy is its attraction
 to young and independent voters. Our party cannot hope to continue our
 recent successes if we don't continue to attract new voters. Sen. Obama has
 demonstrated the ability to draw a new map for Democrats by putting
 traditionally red states like Colorado, Virginia and North Carolina, and
 swing states like New Mexico, Missouri and Iowa in play.

 "A recent Zogby poll has Sen. Obama leading Sen. McCain in every age
 demographic except for those over 65. That speaks volumes about which
 candidate represents our nation's future, and which represents our past.  I
 admit I am over 65, but my support of Sen. Obama is a vote for our
 children's and grandchildren's futures.

 "This is a pivotal time for our party, our nation and the world.  This past
 weekend the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee made a decision to act in the
 interest of party unity, and now we must come together. Our party's success
 going forward will depend in large measure upon how we treat each other
 between now and our national convention, how we appear to the nation during
 our national convention, and how we conduct the campaign after our national
 convention.

 "Our vice presidential nominee will be introduced to the nation on the eve
 of the 45th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington, the historic
 petition to the nation for gender, ethnic and workplace equality. Our
 presidential nominee will accept our party's nomination on the anniversary
 of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s historic call for a nation where we are all
 judged by 'the content of our character rather than the color of our skin.'
 Over the next several weeks, our party will have an historic opportunity to
 transcend these issues that have plagued our nation since its founding and
 our party for generations.

 "All of us have roles to play in helping to unify this party and unite in
 support of our nominee.  But united does not mean unanimous, united means
 recognizing and respecting some realities. And it is a reality that
 delegates determine the winner. No matter the outcome tonight, Sen. Obama
 will lead in the delegate count and should be named the nominee. Any other
 outcome would require unpledged delegates, who have the power and authority
 to do so, to reverse the results of those who played by the established
 rules and worked hard in the primaries and caucuses. This would be
 unwarranted and could make the nomination worthless.

 "I believe the time has come for all unpledged delegates to make their
 choices known, and I believe our best choice against a George Bush third
 term is Sen. Barack Obama
 <http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/01/23/vgallery/doc4796c3299884b509875
 113.txt> ."

 Click
 <http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2008/06/04/vgallery/doc4846eb64245e2502785
 422.txt>  here to view video of Clyburn's endorsement of Obama on "The Today
 Show".

"There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
Country"