From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 7:50 PM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [scifinoir2] M. Night Shyamalan: HE'S NOT 'HAPPENING

The trailer looks good. I'm not a big Marky Mark fan, but I guess his
limited emotional range would work for a movie where he'd basically have to
be puzzled and in the dark much of the time. The scene with the people
falling (jumping?) off the buildings spooks me for some reason. One thing
about Knight: when he's on, he's one. He crashes and burns every now and
then, but big props for his ambitions. I'm looking forward to it.

And Martin, you have *got* to see "Iron Man"! It is really good, fun, and
exciting. I'm planning to go pay for a third viewing!

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tracey, I want to see it. Whether or not time allows me the luxury is
another matter altogether.

Martin (still hasn't laid eyes on Ol' Shellhead)

Tracey de Morsella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: The following
is a positive review:

"The Happening" was screened in Madrid last tuesday. Go here to see a review
(the critic gave it 4 out of 5 stars):

http://www.labutaca.net/films/61/elincidente4.php

Here a BabelFish translation, retouched by me:

A ghost, a superhero, a Martian, a monster and a siren. These recurrent
elements have been used by the brilliant M. Night Shyamalan in his last
films -we are talking about his production from "The sixth sense" (1999)
onwards, because that movie began his international and commercial
recognition-, characters that serve as a colourful excuse to present
tremendous tragedies about the solitude, the loss of innocence and,
definitively and in an inescapable way, the internal and external fragility
of human being. Nevertheless, the considerable critical and public
catastrophe of the unjustly neglected "Lady in the water", his last work,
placed him in a complex situation facing the industry. For that reason, that
he succeeds in his return even when he resigns in a certain way to the
essence of his previous work -especially as far as concerns the narrative
tempo- it is wonderful news.

Something strange harasses New York. A wave of suicides without apparent
reason expands all over the city, an uncontrolled fury that doesn't
distinguish age, creed or social position. Faced with this situation, the
authorities begin to plan the evacuation of the downtown. But when other
cases appear in different states, a global panic spreads, an inevitable fear
towards the unknown. First of all, it is necessary to indicate that "The
Happening" has one of the most demolishing beginnings of recent cinema; a
brutal, gelid prologue, shot and displayed with a technical and aesthetic
perfection that maintains the spectator in tension, hypnotized by the
unfolding events. But it is somewhat strange, inevitably, that unfolding of
a mechanic -and fascinatingly morbid- violence, an approach far away from
the previous works of the Indian filmmaker, which opted, for virtually all
the footage, for intuition and suggestion rather than exhibition. So here we
are facing a new and different Shyamalan, who largely prefers to articulate
a spectacular thriller aimed to a majority, perhaps concerned about a
possible -and, in the end, warningly definitive- rejection of a public not
accustomed to the elaborated and chillingly sensible works of this unique
director.

But that is precisely the great triumph of the film. Because based on a
structurally simpler script, in which the classic and linear narrative
division emerges avoiding more complex and twisted ways, the master of
ceremonies gives some magisterial lessons of a visual tension that seizes
every minute of a history in which the man succumbs to the constant threat
of a quiet surrounding, a silent and hostile frame in which only the whisper
of the wind anticipates an imminent attack. Each scene is carefully planned,
with a wisdom that harmonizes brutality and lyricism; a magnificent director
of actors -he's been showing it throughout all of his work-, [Shyamalan] is
amply capable at the time of turning innocence, a common subject of his
cinematographic ideology, in a forceful and universal sample of the most
innocent love: there are the doubts of Soul (Zooey Deschanel), that collide
with the unshakeable simplicity of the open, sober and sincere temper of
Elliot (Mark Wahlberg), a young marriage put under some hesitations more
common to those ones of two children that the ones of an adult and
consummated couple.

Around them exists a desperate humanity, incapable of assimilate what
happens, trapped in an extreme situation that leads them away and closer
continuously. Tenderness, horror, affection, primitive passions emerging in
a lethal but calm context, once discerned the basic rules of this tremendous
natural revolution. This canvas is, and isn't, a brother of the previous
pictures of the human essence drawn by a creative brain able to disturb our
spirit at will, to take our emotions from a side to another with astonishing
ease. The projection finalizes, and our mind is still trapped in a
fantastical, personal and fabulous world. Perhaps he [Shyamalan] has
capitulated somewhat, but he has done it with courage, and he remains
equally necessary in the submissive creative panorama that we are living
today.