I liked Signs a lot too.  The Village was not bad, I was just a little
disappointed in that I figured out the "catch" very early on.

-----Original Message-----
From: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Street
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:45 PM
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [scifinoir2] M. Night Shyamalan: HE'S NOT 'HAPPENING

I just can't take critics seriously anymore. They are old white men,
single, with no lives but going to the movies. to me Lady in the Water
was his only bad movie. "Sings" scare the FUCK out of me and I
personally though it was wonderful. I'm going to see The Happening and
I don't need a critic to tell me what's good cause they really don't
know

 Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Tracey de Morsella
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
of
> a mechanic -and fascinatingly morbid- violence, an approach far away from
> the previous works of the Indian filmmaker, which opted, for virtually all
> the footage, for intuition and suggestion rather than exhibition. So here
we
> are facing a new and different Shyamalan, who largely prefers to
articulate
> a spectacular thriller aimed to a majority, perhaps concerned about a
> possible -and, in the end, warningly definitive- rejection of a public not
> accustomed to the elaborated and chillingly sensible works of this unique
> director.
>
> But that is precisely the great triumph of the film. Because based on a
> structurally simpler script, in which the classic and linear narrative
> division emerges avoiding more complex and twisted ways, the master of
> ceremonies gives some magisterial lessons of a visual tension that seizes
> every minute of a history in which the man succumbs to the constant threat
> of a quiet surrounding, a silent and hostile frame in which only the
whisper
> of the wind anticipates an imminent attack. Each scene is carefully
planned,
> with a wisdom that harmonizes brutality and lyricism; a magnificent
director
> of actors -he's been showing it throughout all of his work-, [Shyamalan]
is
> amply capable at the time of turning innocence, a common subject of his
> cinematographic ideology, in a forceful and universal sample of the most
> innocent love: there are the doubts of Soul (Zooey Deschanel), that
collide
> with the unshakeable simplicity of the open, sober and sincere temper of
> Elliot (Mark Wahlberg), a young marriage put under some hesitations more
> common to those ones of two children that the ones of an adult and
> consummated couple.
>
> Around them exists a desperate humanity, incapable of assimilate what
> happens, trapped in an extreme situation that leads them away and closer
> continuously. Tenderness, horror, affection, primitive passions emerging
in
> a lethal but calm context, once discerned the basic rules of this
tremendous
> natural revolution. This canvas is, and isn't, a brother of the previous
> pictures of the human essence drawn by a creative brain able to disturb
our
> spirit at will, to take our emotions from a side to another with
astonishing
> ease. The projection finalizes, and our mind is still trapped in a
> fantastical, personal and fabulous world. Perhaps he [Shyamalan] has
> capitulated somewhat, but he has done it with courage, and he remains
> equally necessary in the submissive creative panorama that we are living

Van
> Pelt: "She winks, nods, and says 'Come on, Chuck, just give the old ball a
> kick. I promise I won't move it this time.' But you know she will. She
> always does."
>
> How did we get so disenchanted with the man who gave us "The Sixth Sense,"
> the awesomely spooky thriller that inspired Newsweek magazine to proclaim
> him "The Next Spielberg"?
>
> Why did no one exact a mercy killing of the debacle that was "The Lady in
> the Water," or point out - before it got made - that the "twist" at the
end
> of "The Village" was really more of a punch line?
>
> And, while we're asking, who thought it would be a good idea to let Night
> (as he's known) introduce the online clip from his newest film - out a
week
> from Friday - by claiming it's "the scariest movie I've ever made" and
> comparing it to "The Exorcist" and "The Godfather"?
>
> The director followed those comparisons with an anecdote about an early
> screening audience for "The Happening," who "came out and were so shaken,
> they just stood around holding their arms and stuff."
>
> This we can believe . . . but probably not for the abject fear the
director
> attributed to the scene. Stumbling around zombie-like is a common reaction
> when you step out of a movie in which you can't quite believe you were
had,
> again, the same way as the last time around. And the time before that.
>
> One industry insider, who asked to remain anonymous, attributes viewers'
> Shyamalan sadism to the pure power of hope. "It's because they see 'The
> Sixth Sense' as one of the great movies of recent times," he says.
"They're

.
> . something in the air.
>
> Something twisty, we're betting, and mysterious!
>
> That's what Shyamalan does, after all. The twist at the end. And,
arguably,
> you can't blame the guy for clinging to a formula that worked so
> surprisingly well to begin with.
>
> THE ONE THAT HAPPENED
>
> We're going to reference the end of "The Sixth Sense" here, so if you're
one
> of the three people who hasn't yet seen it, for god's sake, stop reading
> now.
>
> It was the conclusion nobody saw coming (except that inevitable annoying
> friend who claims they knew it all along, which we're not buying): Bruce
> Willis' character was dead! The whole time!
>
> Shyamalan's reveal ranked up there with the man parts in "The Crying Game"
> and Kevin Spacey's gimp-to-villain stroll in "The Usual Suspects" as movie
> moments that made everyone audibly gasp - and tell all their friends to
run
> right out and see it, too. This, the studio did not see coming.
>
> "People forget, 'The Sixth Sense' was dumped in August by Disney," says
> David Poland of Movie City News. "At that time, August was not exactly a
> gangbuster date - it was only afterward that people started releasing
> pictures there. But it muscled its way into being a long-running hit."
>
> The "I see dead people" phenomenon made Shyamalan a household name in
1999,
> at the very start of his mainstream film career - his previous films,
1992's
> "Praying With Anger" and 1998's "Wide Awake," were flops - and catapulted
> him into a level of heroworship that, some say, created a megalomaniacal
> monster.
>
> "He came on the scene like the next Steven Spielberg," says the insider,
> referencing the aforementioned Newsweek cover. "That's pretty amazing, for
> kid. And that probably was the kiss of death. I think that may have gone
> his head, and he just believed that no matter what he wrote, it would turn
> to gold. And then 'Unbreakable' came out [in 2000], and everyone was
waiting
> for it to be fantastic, and it opened big - but the movie disappointed."
>
> It was the first time, but certainly not the last, that Shyamalan was
hoping
> lightning would strike twice. His next two movies, "Signs" (2002) and "The
> Village" (2004), attempted the same ta-dah! formula, with diminishing
> success and louder grumbling from audiences.
>
> In the case of "The Village," despite respectable performances from
Joaquin
> Phoenix, William Hurt and especially Bryce Dallas Howard as a blind
tomboy,
> the twist came off as almost insulting to audiences. As one critic put it,
> Shyamalan was "riding a one-trick pony, and that poor pony is nearly
dead."

> UNCRITICIZABLE
>
> The obvious question is, why didn't someone just tell Shyamalan his
scripts
> weren't working? According to Poland, it's because the director
increasingly
> envisioned himself as an eccentric auteur, beholden to no one and working
> outside the system - which included industry types who might be able to
poke
> holes in his plots.
>
> "He's isolated himself, basically," says Poland. "He lives in
Pennsylvania.
> He's not surrounded by yes men - he's basically on an island. In some
ways,
> that's honorable. But he did seem to get stuck in his own mythology."
>
> He also had the numbers on his side. Despite critical pans and audience
> boos, his first three post-"Sixth" films all made money; even
"Unbreakable"
> and "The Village" grossed around $250 million worldwide.
>
> It was 2006's "Lady in the Water" where the director really went off the
> rails - and allowed the train wreck to be documented in Michael
Bamberger's
> [...]
printed
> page was perfect.
>
> "So," he continues, "he went to Warners, and they picked it up, and that
was
> a disaster. And he did that book, which was a bigger disaster."
>
> At Warner Bros., Shyamalan was allowed to run with his vision of Paul
> Giamatti as a building superintendent who saves a storybook character from
> evil, hyena-like creatures ("scrunts") - and of himself as a character who
> is living out a prophecy that he will save the world with his brilliantly
> written words.
>
> The director was similarly hubristic about his importance in Hollywood;
> shortly before "Lady" was released, he told Time, "I've made profit a
> mathematic certainty. I'm the safest bet you got."
>
> With poetic tragedy, it was his least profitable film to date, not to
> mention the worst reviewed:
>
> "So convoluted and ultimately preposterous that you're almost embarrassed
by
> the earnestness of the actors trying to carry it off," one critic wrote.
>
> "What's supposed to be fanciful storytelling is really just audience
> punishment," another complained.
>
> "Those who see it may feel a need to act like a pool lifeguard and blow
the
> whistle on Shyamalan," wrote a third.
>
> Warners got out of the pool. As Variety reported, when Shyamalan first
> shopped around his screenplay for "The Happening," "no studio loved the
> draft enough to make a deal."
>
> But then something interesting happened - the director learned to
> compromise.
>
> "People who work with me know that I'm collaborative," the director told
> Variety. "If you can give me a good idea that can help me to make a better
> movie, then there is no ego issue in taking that advice. Ultimately, this
> was a very positive process, and one that will ultimately help in making
> this movie the best it can be."
>
> Eventually, Fox picked up "The Happening," in what might be considered
> budget shopping:
>
> "One great thing about Night is that he's a very efficient director," says
> the insider. "None of his movies cost more than $50 or $60 million. So the
> economic formula isn't nearly as risky as some of the other things people
> invest in. You can open a $50 million movie with s - - - ty reviews, and
it
> drops like a stone, and because it didn't cost a lot to make, at the end
of
> the day you can still make some money."
>
> SIGNS OF SENSE
>
> Will getting off his high horse allow Shyamalan to start making quality
> movies again? We'd like to think so, but the director hasn't made it easy.
>
> For better or worse, his trademark "twist" isn't so much a twist as a fact
> that seems to become obvious midway through.
>
> The "scary" clip introduced by Shyamalan online consists mostly of
Wahlberg,

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012008/entertainment/movies/he_s_not_happening
> __113421.htm?page=0

Founder of :
The Greasy Guide
http://greasyguide.com
Your Online Destination for Urban Information

Urban 2.0
http://www.urban20.com
Hip-Hop goes Digital

Senior Director of Social Media Marketing
Zezza Networks

Visit my latest campaign for Jim Beam at http://www.theStuffInside.com
Celebrating true character featuring: Mark Murrman, Crown City
Rockers, Russ Abbott, Robby Gordon, Montgomery Gentry, and Operation
Homefront.