I admire the way Tyler Perry has built his brand.  I watch his plays
and movies trying to decipher how and why he connects to his
audiences.  I am curious to see how his "crossover" movie THE FAMILY
THAT PREYS performs.  If he manages to snare a white audience and
cross the $50 million barrier (his five films average $48.2), he will
truly have arrived in Hollywood.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Daryle Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> These programs may be garbage but they have had better opening
> weekends than projects we all thought  were brilliant.
>
> Tyler Perry attaching his name to a project means 25 million
right
> now. Spike Lee attaching his name to a project ALMOST means that
> people will NOT go see it.
>
> I am a bigger fan of Spike Lee films after and including 25th Hour
> than I am his more popular work personally,  and I don't
particularly
> like Tyler Perry pictures...but then, my favorite picture list
> include "Blade Runner" and "Brazil". I'm not exactly his target
> audience.
>
> I don't want to turn this into a Tyler Perry discussion. The point
is
> that  he can get pictures made. He can get  a TV series green-
lighted
> and renewed.  A lot of Black people cannot say the same....so the
> point is not what is he doing WRONG. The question is: what is he
> doing right?
>

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Omari Confer wrote:
>

> > Those programs are trully garbage....but Perry has a lock on
cinema
> > that the studios cant deny...
> >
> > so i say...
> >

> > Black hollywood..
> >
> > Stop your whining!!!!
> >
> > c w m
> >

> > On 9/3/08, ravenadal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am speaking out of my dislike of classic cinema like DIARY OF A
MAD

<clockworkman@>

Lee....

> > that