--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Daryle Lockhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> These programs may be garbage but they have had better opening
> weekends than projects we all thought  were brilliant.
>
> Tyler Perry attaching his name to a project means 25 million
right
> now. Spike Lee attaching his name to a project ALMOST means that
> people will NOT go see it.
>
> I am a bigger fan of Spike Lee films after and including 25th Hour
> than I am his more popular work personally,  and I don't
particularly
> like Tyler Perry pictures...but then, my favorite picture list
> include "Blade Runner" and "Brazil". I'm not exactly his target
> audience.
>
> I don't want to turn this into a Tyler Perry discussion. The point
is
> that  he can get pictures made. He can get  a TV series green-
lighted
> and renewed.  A lot of Black people cannot say the same....so the
> point is not what is he doing WRONG. The question is: what is he
> doing right?

Yes, I agree he's doing great business however I don't know that his
success results can be replicated under control conditions. He wore
out shoe leather building a reputation within a very specific genre
of work.

The key was that he managed to translate from one medium to another
with great success AND got his audience, a rabidly loyal one -
underserved at that, to follow. He made plays that played like
sitcoms. that translated not so well to movies. However, they were an
EASY sell on home video since that was essentially returning his work
to its roots.

Aside from Soulja Boy, who else can copy that?

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Omari Confer wrote:
>

> > Those programs are trully garbage....but Perry has a lock on
cinema
> > that the studios cant deny...
> >
> > so i say...
> >

> > Black hollywood..
> >
> > Stop your whining!!!!
> >
> > c w m
> >

> > On 9/3/08, ravenadal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am speaking out of my dislike of classic cinema like DIARY OF A
MAD

<clockworkman@>

Lee....

> > that