I think its just that he's had enough of being The Doctor and
would like to do other things, like theater and so forth.
I like that he wants to end on a high note instead of beating
the role to death. It seems a lot easier to escape typecasting
over the pond. I've seen actors take on so many different roles
with such ease over here. I think the opportunities here are much
broader than in the US. btw: one of the actors they were touting
on the breakfast show on BBC today is a Black guy. I can't remember
his name, but I've seen him in various things on BBC. I don't actually
think he'll get the part, but sometimes 'auntie' can surprise.

Meta