You raise some good points that I should have addressed earlier.  First, there
have been a couple of films that were made in America, or did well here, that
were more atmospheric and suspenseful than violent and gory. The Blair Witch
Project and The Others are good examples. Both did very well at the box office,
and got good reviews here as well. Though i will say, even with them I talked
to an inordinate number of people who thought they were too "boring" and
"slow-paced".    Another thing you point out is that there *are* ultra-violent
and gory films in those other countries I referenced. One has only to look at
some of the supernatural/martial arts types films produced in Asia, for
example, to see a lot of blood and stuff. I've read many reviews of disturbing
Japanese films that I'll never see. I remember watching "The Heroic Trio" for
the first time a few years ago, and my wife walking into the room and freaking
out when she saw the kidnapped kids eating human fingers. But a fi
lm that has blood, gore and even explicit violence isn't automatically bad or
worthy of dismissal. As you and many others have pointed out, "Saw" is good for
what it is. I still love John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing", which has
plenty of crazy stuff in it.

I do think, though, that while other countries have more of a balance between
the gory films and the suspenseful ones, America has shown a decided move
toward the more overt over-the-top stuff for decades now. Look at really good
franchise-spawning films like "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elm Street", and
"Halloween". Each was very good, and each resulted in subsequent films that
lost the magic of the originals, while frantically upping the body count,
blood, and sex. Sad when people see a film only to see what new ways people
will be killed on screen (remember the horrible 3D "Friday the 13th" flick?)

What do you think are the cultural differences between America and the rest of
the world such that there's a much bigger need for superficial action,
violence, and gore here?

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I think that the American psyche finds it easier to deal with the in
your face gore rather than the psychological or supernatural stuff
that works overseas.

There are exceptions of course like the The Blair Witch Project and
Session 9 from the U.S. which worked the psychological horror vein
pretty well. The new wave of French ultraviolent movies(Frontier(s),
Inside, Martyrs, etc.) and extreme Japanese cinema go for the blood
and guts crowd as well.

BTW Saw and Hostel aren't my cup of tea but they don't disturb me.
The only movie that got under my skin last year was a French horror
move called À l'intérieur aka Inside. That one was hard to watch. It
was gory but that wasn't what got me. The violence against a pregnant
woman is too hard to take at times. La Femme is easily the scariest
horror villain in a long time and she actually is a sympathetic
character in a lot of ways.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Agreed. Remember a year or so ago there was a news story published
about a recent study on what kinds of horror movies scare people in
different countries? I think Tracey published the article here. One
thing it pointed out was that in Asian countries like South Korea,
audiences found the disembodied sounds of children laughing to be
extremely frightening. Americans didn't find that so much. It seemed
to me that other countries' audiences were more into true suspense,
atmosphere, etc., while Americans were about louder, gorier, more
blatant stuff.
> Wonder why that is?

> From: Bosco Bosco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> With horror films, gore or no, it's pretty easy. If it's made by an
American Studio, it's most likely gonna suck. American horror films
tend toward extreme suckage so often that they're rarely worth
watching even if you get in for free.

and guts, dismemberment, and the like.