I think the rest of the world likes violence just as much as the U.S.
But where the U.S. movies exhibit a certain kind of carnage other
places in the world have their own movies that do the same. I think
the reason we don't see as many quality, quiet horrors is that they
don't go over well to a lot of U.S. audiences and the studio system
cares about what makes money. On the other hand in Japan someone like
Miike can start off in the world of DTV films and then make the jump
to first run features with no stigma attacthed.

I think different things scare us based on our cultures. The U.S. and
mainland  Chinese audiences tend to hate bleak endings where Hong
Kong, Japan and Europe have a history of great films with dark
endings. The Vanishing is great example. There is no way that movie
could have been remade in the U.S. with the original ending. That's
one reason why I think that The Mist didn't do well.

Hong Kong films have had some notably nasty instances where children
are routinely put in danger or killed onscreen where the U.S.
audience balks at that. I was watching Aliens versus Predator:
Requiem and I was shocked when I saw a little kid infected and killed
onscreen.

Also the appreciation for the written word influences cinema as well.
In Japan novels and manga are routinely filmed and there is a built
in audience for that work. We know how the majority of book
adaptations turn out here.

I've rambled enough.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You raise some good points that I should have addressed earlier.
First, there have been a couple of films that were made in America,
or did well here, that were more atmospheric and suspenseful than
violent and gory. The Blair Witch Project and The Others are good
examples. Both did very well at the box office, and got good reviews
here as well. Though i will say, even with them I talked to an
inordinate number of people who thought they were too "boring"
and "slow-paced".    Another thing you point out is that there *are*
ultra-violent and gory films in those other countries I referenced.
One has only to look at some of the supernatural/martial arts types
films produced in Asia, for example, to see a lot of blood and stuff.
I've read many reviews of disturbing Japanese films that I'll never
see. I remember watching "The Heroic Trio" for the first time a few
years ago, and my wife walking into the room and freaking out when
she saw the kidnapped kids eating human fingers. But a fi
> lm that has blood, gore and even explicit violence isn't
automatically bad or worthy of dismissal. As you and many others have
pointed out, "Saw" is good for what it is. I still love John
Carpenter's remake of "The Thing", which has plenty of crazy stuff in
it.

> I do think, though, that while other countries have more of a
balance between the gory films and the suspenseful ones, America has
shown a decided move toward the more overt over-the-top stuff for
decades now. Look at really good franchise-spawning films
like "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elm Street", and "Halloween".
Each was very good, and each resulted in subsequent films that lost
the magic of the originals, while frantically upping the body count,
blood, and sex. Sad when people see a film only to see what new ways
people will be killed on screen (remember the horrible 3D "Friday the
13th" flick?)

> What do you think are the cultural differences between America and
the rest of the world such that there's a much bigger need for
superficial action, violence, and gore here?

> From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I think that the American psyche finds it easier to deal with the
in
> your face gore rather than the psychological or supernatural stuff
> that works overseas.
>
> There are exceptions of course like the The Blair Witch Project and
> Session 9 from the U.S. which worked the psychological horror vein
> pretty well. The new wave of French ultraviolent movies(Frontier
(s),
> Inside, Martyrs, etc.) and extreme Japanese cinema go for the blood
> and guts crowd as well.
>
> BTW Saw and Hostel aren't my cup of tea but they don't disturb me.
> The only movie that got under my skin last year was a French horror
> move called À l'intérieur aka Inside. That one was hard to watch.
It