We were discussing stuff like this. Never get the American need to remake so
many foreign films. Despite this guy's take, the original --which was released
here last year--was received well by those who saw it.

From: "Tracey de Morsella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/korean-mutant-squid-flick-the-host-getting-americanized
BY: Brad Brevet | November 19th 2008 at 2:45 AM
Korean Mutant Squid Flick, ‘The Host’, Getting Americanized
The original wasn't even all that good
I’m not sure how Universal Pictures and producer Gore Verbinski were convinced
Mark Poirier was the man to write an American adaptation of the Korean mutant
fish hit The Host, but he has apparently got the gig. Poirier has only this
year’s mediocre Smart People to his credit and it hardly screams horror.
For those not familiar, The Host is a Korean horror/thriller centering on the
idea of the contaminated waters of the Han River spawning a mutant fish beast
that begins eating the locals. Personally I am not a huge fan of the film and
actually wrote an article headlined “So What’s the Big Deal with The Host?” I
got a couple bites in the comments on that article, but no overwhelming outcry
saying I was wrong. Considering the film maintains a 92% rating at
RottenTomatoes I expected some kind of resistence.
The studio has attached Fredrik Bond as director. Bond is a commercial director
who told Variety, “It processes a few genres together, and visually it feels
close to the stuff I’ve made over the last few years in commercials, the
tonality of humor and the scale.” Considering Bond has ben directing Nike,
Adidas and Levi’s commercials I am not sure how exactly they compare to The
Host, but good on him if he can figure it out.
Here’s a commercial by Bond that perhaps gets to the bottom of his comparison
along with a look at the major attack scene from The Host. You do the comparing
and see what you think.