It's really important to remember that we're fans of a fantasy genre, and try to apply the right politics.

I believe Patterson Joseph is a great actor and is cool enough and clever enough to pick up where David Tennant left off. I don't think Dr. Who should be Black just because. that's how we get Will Smith and Angela Basset being everything, which leads to even worse diversity than before. No, I think the reality is that we need to tell more stories, which will lead to these stories being told with our faces. I hate to apply "trickle-down" to sci-fi, but it is where we go wrong -- often. We set out to do Black Star Wars instead of telling science and speculative fiction stories from the perspective of the first people on Planet Earth, which is a fantastic POV.

We have to define Black storytelling by identifying our influences, then it doesn't matter who plays Dr. Who, because we have stories of our own immortals to read, watch, and tell. Then we can truly get our IDIC appreciation on.

On Jan 4, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Augustus Augustus wrote:

GTW,

u r so right, but u know, i was hoping that since America did elect Barack, that they (the SciFi world) would at least say, "o.k., let's at least make an attempt 2 recognize that there are Black SciFi fans." look at the big blockbuster's of late. ID4 with Will Smith. Hancock, with Will Smith. The Matrix Trilogy with Laurence Fishburn. while i know that in the last example........................was a supporting character, still, there are Black people who like SciFi. DTESS sucked, except 4 little Mr. Smith. Even The Spirit has Sam Jackson (love the guy). i think that is one of the original reasons that i enjoyed the OS of Trek. Uhura. then u had a few ep's with Black actors who DID NOT DIE. plus, OS was really one of the first 2 actually say that Blacks were even alive in the future! but i guess that that is y u say, being a Black SciFi fan is not easy.

Fate.

--- On Sun, 1/4/09, gwashin...@aol.com <gwashin...@aol.com>wrote:
From: gwashin...@aol.com <gwashin...@aol.com>
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: New Doctor has been announced.
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 2:58 PM

Fate, I feel the same. And it's the reason why I now have a love/ hate relationship with the whole sci-fi/fantasy/ comic book gendre. Everytime I get into something that makes me feel good about sci-fi (namely the Coyote, Honor Harrition series) something comes along (like the Dr Who thing) to spoil it.

But no one said being a black sci-fi fan was easy.  :)

-GTW