Don't worry about Taken. It's already closing in on $80 million after
three weekends in the U.S. and has taken in close to that amount
internationally. They are some rumbles about a sequel. Not bad for a
French produced medium budget thriller.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Keith Johnson <keithbjohn...@...>
wrote:

> Huh? All the reviews I read said that this is a dull movie, even by
its own kill-by-the-numbers standards. Is this box office due to a
bunch of young folk who simply never saw the original? It's a bit
distressing to see this and "Mall Cop" doing so much better
than "Taken" and "The International".

> Of course, it could be worse: Will Smith could star in a remake of
Halloween! Course, it'd probably make over one hundred million the
first weekend, right Rave?

> *************************
>

> LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - What better way to celebrate Valentine's
Day than to watch college kids get slaughtered in a remake of "
Friday the 13th "? The revival of the venerable slasher franchise
easily took the No. 1 spot at the North American box office this
weekend, setting a new record for a horror opening with estimated
sales of $42.2 million, distributor Warner Bros . Pictures said on
Sunday.

> The old mark was held by " The Grudge " with a $39 million debut in
2004. That film had a less-restrictive PG-13 rating, while the R
rating for "Friday the 13th" ostensibly prevented fans under age 17
from buying tickets unless accompanied by an adult.

> The new film is essentially a remake of the 1980 film that kicked
off the horror series and eventually introduced a hockey-masked
villain named Jason. His most recent appearance, in 2003's "Freddy
vs. Jason," generated a $36.4 million opening.

> Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc , predicted "Friday the
13th" would end up in the $48 million range once sales for the U.S.
Presidents Day holiday on Monday were calculated. The film was
directed by German filmmaker Marcus Nispel , who shot the hit 2004
retread of " The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ." Both films were produced
by "Transformers" director Michael Bay , whose Platinum Dunes banner
specializes in low-budget horror remakes.

> Also new this weekend were Walt Disney Co's Isla Fisher comedy "
Confessions of a Shopaholic " at No. 4 with a modest $15.4 million,
and Columbia Pictures' Clive Owen thriller "The International" at No.
7 with $10 million.

> Columbia, a unit of Sony Corp , also had a disappointment last
weekend with " The Pink Panther 2 " ($22 million to date). But the
studio's surprise hit comedy "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" crashed through
the century mark, tallying $110.5 million after an $11.7 million
weekend.

> Last weekend's champion, Warner Bros.' ensemble romance " He's Just
Not That Into You ," slipped to No. 2 with $19.6 million, taking its
10-day tally to $55.1 million. The comedy, based on a self-help book
that was itself inspired by the TV show "Sex and the City," revolves
around the lives and loves of various couples. The A-list lineup
includes Jennifer Aniston , Drew Barrymore , Ben Affleck and Scarlett
Johansson .

> The thriller "Taken" fell one place to No. 3 with $19.3 million in
its third weekend. Liam Neeson plays a father in a race against time
to prevent his kidnapped teen daughter's virginity from being taken
by an Arab sheikh. The surprise success, produced by French filmmaker
Luc Besson , has earned $77.9 million to date, and should hit $120
million, said distributor 20th Century Fox , a unit of News Corp .

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/)