My bootleg guy also hooked me up with a mint condition copy
of "Taken" two weeks before the film opened.  I actually think this
helped the opening week box office - contrary to popular and studio
belief.  Tyler Perry's career was built off of bootleg copies of his
plays.  That is how I first became aware of him.

~rave!

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Mike Street <streetfor...@...>
wrote:

> My brother had a clear bootleg of Taken like 2 weeks before it came
> out. I was like how in the world did you get this movie. Taken was
> pretty good..but I think I'll go to F13 since I'm off work today.
>
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, B. Smith <daikaij...@...> wrote:
> > Don't worry about Taken. It's already closing in on $80 million
after
> > three weekends in the U.S. and has taken in close to that amount
> > internationally. They are some rumbles about a sequel. Not bad
for a
> > French produced medium budget thriller.
> >
> > --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Keith Johnson <KeithBJohnson@>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Huh? All the reviews I read said that this is a dull movie, even
by
> > its own kill-by-the-numbers standards. Is this box office due to a
> > bunch of young folk who simply never saw the original? It's a bit
> > distressing to see this and "Mall Cop" doing so much better
> > than "Taken" and "The International".
> >>
> >> Of course, it could be worse: Will Smith could star in a remake
of
> > Halloween! Course, it'd probably make over one hundred million the
> > first weekend, right Rave?
> >>
> >> *************************
> >>

> >> LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - What better way to celebrate Valentine's
> > Day than to watch college kids get slaughtered in a remake of "
> > Friday the 13th "? The revival of the venerable slasher franchise
> > easily took the No. 1 spot at the North American box office this
> > weekend, setting a new record for a horror opening with estimated
> > sales of $42.2 million, distributor Warner Bros . Pictures said on
> > Sunday.
> >>

> >> The old mark was held by " The Grudge " with a $39 million debut
in
> > 2004. That film had a less-restrictive PG-13 rating, while the R
> > rating for "Friday the 13th" ostensibly prevented fans under age
17
> > from buying tickets unless accompanied by an adult.
> >>

> >> The new film is essentially a remake of the 1980 film that kicked
> > off the horror series and eventually introduced a hockey-masked
> > villain named Jason. His most recent appearance, in 2003's "Freddy
> > vs. Jason," generated a $36.4 million opening.
> >>

> >> Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc , predicted "Friday the
> > 13th" would end up in the $48 million range once sales for the
U.S.
> > Presidents Day holiday on Monday were calculated. The film was
> > directed by German filmmaker Marcus Nispel , who shot the hit 2004
> > retread of " The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ." Both films were
produced
> > by "Transformers" director Michael Bay , whose Platinum Dunes
banner
> > specializes in low-budget horror remakes.
> >>

> >> Also new this weekend were Walt Disney Co's Isla Fisher comedy "
> > Confessions of a Shopaholic " at No. 4 with a modest $15.4
million,
> > and Columbia Pictures' Clive Owen thriller "The International" at
No.
> > 7 with $10 million.
> >>
> >> Columbia, a unit of Sony Corp , also had a disappointment last
> > weekend with " The Pink Panther 2 " ($22 million to date). But the
> > studio's surprise hit comedy "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" crashed
through
> > the century mark, tallying $110.5 million after an $11.7 million
> > weekend.
> >>

> >> Last weekend's champion, Warner Bros.' ensemble romance " He's
Just
> > Not That Into You ," slipped to No. 2 with $19.6 million, taking
its
> > 10-day tally to $55.1 million. The comedy, based on a self-help
book
> > that was itself inspired by the TV show "Sex and the City,"
revolves
> > around the lives and loves of various couples. The A-list lineup
> > includes Jennifer Aniston , Drew Barrymore , Ben Affleck and
Scarlett